News TSMC Chairman Tells Reporter “Nobody Can Control TSMC by Force”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forceful takeovers aren't that bad considering the alternative which includes murder and blackmailing. I'm not even going with a tinfoil hat theory here, it's been in history for all the time humans have existed and history being recorded.

Without implying any more horrible things, given the amount of importance TSMC has currently, I'm sure the USA+allies would rather see it burn to a crisp before falling into China's control.

I wonder when the second (third?) Cold War era started?

Regards.

Reactions: Pei-chen

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Forceful takeovers aren't that bad considering the alternative which includes murder and blackmailing.
Huh? Forceful takeovers have consequences. It matters a lot who is doing the taking-over, and for what reasons. Likely, their motivations aren't good for existing customers.

Blackmail and murder are different in that they're crimes and can be prosecuted. A takeover by military force is vastly more difficult to redress.

I'm sure the USA+allies would rather see it burn to a crisp before falling into China's control.
Honestly, nope. As long as TSMC exists in any form, there's still a chance to get wafers from them. And if you want to see Western economies spiral quickly downwards, that's exactly what would happen if the wafer supply from TSMC suddenly and forever went to zero.

More than that, what the US and other Western countries believe in is a rules-based order. And "burning TSMC to a crisp" falls well outside those norms. That's the sort of thing we're seeing only from the likes of Russia.

Heck, you need look no further than Afghanistan to see that the US didn't violate its ceasefire agreement with the Taliban, when pulling out. Generally speaking, it doesn't do things out of spite.

Reactions: 2+2

InvalidError

Titan
More than that, what the US and other Western countries believe in is a rules-based order. And "burning TSMC to a crisp" falls well outside those norms. That's the sort of thing we're seeing only from the likes of Russia.
One word: Azovstal.

If you are a Taiwanese resistance fighter wanting to stall China's invasion, the most logical place to stage your resistance from would be the fabs and other strategic assets China wishes to take over. Then China has to choose between destroying the fabs to wipe out the resistance, get stuck in a stalemate indefinitely or go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.