News TSMC Exec Tells U.S. Workers to Expect Long Hours or Go Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I am extremely displeased by such anti-worker language from TSMC.

Considering this company got massive subsidies from US taxpayers, and they're already threatening US employees.

We have rules in the US against overworking employees.

Alabama's Hyundai representatives used similar language years ago. And now we have revelations Hyundai used child labor in Alabama.

I am extremely displeased by such anti-worker language from TSMC.

Considering this company got massive subsidies from US taxpayers, and they're already threatening US employees.

Alabama's Hyundai representatives used similar language years ago. And now we have revelations Hyundai used child labor in Alabama.
Yeah, TSMC workers in Taiwan might have even harsher conditions than TSMC US, but you're in the US. When in the US, you play by US rules. It's a sorry sight when you can't offer competitive jobs after so many incentives.

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
These Asian companies are used to running their workforce as a toned down version of a concentration camp, slave drivers and all.

But just because Taiwanese workers are content being ranked 4th in the world by the average number of their work hours doesn't mean that the rest of the civilized world is dumb enough to be persuaded by their "passion for semiconductors" nonsense.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Some of the TSMC America glassdoor reviews.

Twelve-hour days are standard, weekend shifts are common. I cannot stress how brutal the work-life balance is here

People slept in the office for a month straight.

Arrogant attitude, company treats employees and contractors horribly, even abusively beyond description.

Pay management language barrier (70% of reports are still Chinese) harsh punishments like pay loss no raises.

They said if you’re American and you don’t like the culture and you don’t like them speaking in Chinese then you just need to get out of the company. It is completely top down racism if you are not Taiwanese you are treated like a second class citizen.

It is stressed to employees that they are not to eat away from their desk, and that they are not to talk to each other during meals, under threat of lower performance reviews.

It is common to receive work calls in the middle of the night, or 6am on the weekends, and so even when you leave the company, you must keep your phone with you at all times.

Co BIY

Splendid
It's always hard to hire. Especially hiring a lot of people for a large new project. The pool of people looking for a new job is always below average compared to the overall workforce.

TSMC has never really run large workforces outside of Taiwan or CCP China so that will be a challenge too.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
since this field isn't just about lucrative wages but rather a passion for [the semiconductor industry]

It's one thing to ask your employees to give extra to get something off the ground. It's another thing to make it act like there is no financial gain to it. I'm sure if you asked the C-suit execs at TSMC to work 20 hours a day while making 1/10 the salary for the "passion for the industry" they wouldn't stick around very long.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
A lot of places I go for contract work do 12 hour shifts what's the big deal?

One of the nations largest grocery chains warehouse is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year (thats right even on Christmas) they tell you this before your hired. They also have production numbers you must meet or your fired so everybody must be humping all day to meet the expectations.

Nothing to see in the article to me.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Yeah.. no kidding. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm greedy and have no problem working massive amounts of OT to help finance my toys. Personal record is 7x days @ 14 hours. Obviously something that isn't doable on a long term basis but it's a great short term boost to the bank account.

The problem in today's world is COVID totally messed up the job market. We have too many people that sat on their butts collecting free money and it's much more difficult now to find people that want to work.

It's all about work ethic. Some have it... some don't.
The difference is you're getting paid OT. Plus, if you didn't do the hours, you might be a little poorer, but you still would have a job.

Threatening people with termination for not working overtime is just plain nuts.

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
It's not at a store it's a warehouse that ships to the stores.
I clearly said warehouse.
They make good money for the type of work with bonuses for exceeding expected numbers.
4 days on 3 off 3 on 4 off so basically 48 hours one week and 36 hours the next week.

Edit for your statement if nobody was willing to work at grocery stores where would you get your food? Amazon?
Garden. I hope they pay overtime for that 8 hrs, its the law.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Oh no I wouldn't want to lose my grocery store job.

Well look at the bright side... if you lost it you could always go picket in front of McD's demanding $15 an hour because flipping burgers and salting fries is skilled labor.

The difference is you're getting paid OT. Plus, if you didn't do the hours, you might be a little poorer, but you still would have a job.

Threatening people with termination for not working overtime is just plain nuts.

It's not all that uncommon... I've never been threatened with losing my job but I have been asked to work the OT because it was needed to meet demand.

Again... to me it boils down to work ethic. If I'm offered 20 hours of OT that's basically $1200 or so... and if I say no I'm leaving $1200 on the table.

Ain't happening.

It's not at a store it's a warehouse that ships to the stores.
I clearly said warehouse.
They make good money for the type of work with bonuses for exceeding expected numbers.
4 days on 3 off 3 on 4 off so basically 48 hours one week and 36 hours the next week.

Edit for your statement if nobody was willing to work at grocery stores where would you get your food? Amazon?
See that's reasonable. TSMC is working these people 12 hours a day for a month+. So much to the point that they sleep in the offices because when they wake up its go time for another shift for weeks. See the difference? When I was going to school I was working 32 hours a week and taking 12-16 units of classes and would get 6 hours sleep if I was lucky. I could barely do that for 2 semesters until my grades started to suffer. Never again will I do that to myself. A couple 12 hour shifts with some days off? Sure. 20-30 twelve hour shifts in a row? Not a chance. I even like the 4 10s 3 off.

Reactions: King_V and bit_user
I don't disagree... but at the same time COVID flat out destroyed our job market. Free money for the masses... and lazy people continue to be lazy.

Case in point...

I know 2 teenagers who made $150 per week working part time at a local pizza joint.

Covid hit... they lost their job.. AND GOT THE MAXIMUM $600 PER WEEK UNEMPLOYMENT.

Say what?

My mom did the same. She's retired and worked part time as a bartender 1 day per week... $100-$150 a night... and collected nearly $500 per week in unemployment. Told me she banked nearly $30k over the course of the pandemic.

Meanwhile I didn't miss a day of work in my "essential" job. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The problem is that these are two different issues. There is, as you say, problems in the US with lazy people getting free money, but there is also the issue of corporate America expecting you to work 10+ hour days 7 days a week for a salaried position or otherwise. Both are issues simultaneously.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
You talking about the CHIPS act? No, they didn't sign on to that, last I heard. These fabs were probably built with subsidies from Arizona, but not the US.

FWIW, those are for hourly employees. For salaried employees, there's nobody saying you can't work 60- or 80- hour weeks. In some industries, even longer isn't unheard of. Management consulting is one example I've heard. Wall St. analysts might be another. I've definitely pulled some 80+ hour weeks slinging code.

As for the rules about hourly employees, I don't know if they actually have a maximum limit on the number of hours. I think the rules mainly say that you have to pay overtime for > 40 hours/week and holidays. Also, above minimum wage, but TSMC would be paying far above that.

Jaxstarke9977

Reputable
Nov 8, 2020
No one is being forced to work there. If they're unhappy with their hours they are more than welcome to find employment elsewhere. Businesses exist to make money not cater to their employee's every hope, wish, dream and desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.