News TSMC Gets Billions in Pre-Payments for Fab Capacity

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
""We have placed non-cancellable inventory orders for certain products in advance of our normal lead times, paid premiums and provided deposits to secure normal and incremental future supply and capacity and may need to continue to do so in the future," a statement by Nvidia reads. "

Exactly how much GPU (Ampere) can they produce in a year to guarantee steady supply of graphics card in the market so their price can be "normal" again.

Reactions: spentshells
It'll be bananas when Nvidia moves to 7+ from 8 nm. AMD better come hot on the press with that 3D memory in line for their GPUs as I don't think they can take the hit when Nvidia gets off a Samsung 8nm.

I m hoping for hbm3 and 3D cache on a RDNA2 revision, but that feels like CDNA thing. Or another generational deal. All the excitement an I only play CSGO and one player games.

""We have placed non-cancellable inventory orders for certain products in advance of our normal lead times, paid premiums and provided deposits to secure normal and incremental future supply and capacity and may need to continue to do so in the future," a statement by Nvidia reads. "

Exactly how much GPU (Ampere) can they produce in a year to guarantee steady supply of graphics card in the market so their price can be "normal" again.

bkuhl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd be a sizable chunk of that money is from Apple. With them moving their whole line to M1 variants over the past year, they need to guarantee supply.
They also have the deep pockets to pay long in advance for capacity...

Reactions: maik80

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Fabless chip designers know they will sell all the chips they can deliver.

You will buy the chips and you will like them.

:love:

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd be a sizable chunk of that money is from Apple. With them moving their whole line to M1 variants over the past year, they need to guarantee supply.
They also have the deep pockets to pay long in advance for capacity...

My thoughts exactly. If Nvidia and AMD pay 200-300 million each, Apple is probably around a full billion. More so because they are aiming to be a node ahead of other customers.

Reactions: maik80

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
at one point i agree IP need to be protected.
on the other point if the factory destroyed because of disaster, are we gonna going back to day before we have computer everywhere?