News TSMC Mulls Another Fab for 2nm & Two Fabs for Advanced Packaging

bp_968

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
Well I hope Intel and Samsung get themselves in gear and competitive. What concerns me about Taiwan is its location and its cultural importance to China.

China could seize the country and strangle a large majority of tech to the world (AMD, Qualcomm, Apple, some Nvidia, etc). Something like that would either cripple most of the world or kickstart WWIII.

Reactions: panathas

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Very important for the President to entice TSCM to build a couple fabs here in USA...Just in case...

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Well I hope Intel and Samsung get themselves in gear and competitive. What concerns me about Taiwan is its location and its cultural importance to China.

China could seize the country and strangle a large majority of tech to the world (AMD, Qualcomm, Apple, some Nvidia, etc). Something like that would either cripple most of the world or kickstart WWIII.
It'll start WW3.

The US has a defense pact with Taiwan.

Very important for the President to entice TSCM to build a couple fabs here in USA...Just in case...
https://www.anandtech.com/show/15803/tsmc-build-5nm-fab-in-arizona-for-2024

Apr 10, 2020
Yeah 2nm. Marketing crap!
Since 50nm nm means nothing! Just marketing BS. Intel 10nm is in size comparable to TSMC 7nm. Manufacturers use nm and decrease them just to name new process but, as wrote above, has nothing to do with real dimensions.
I'm wondering how will start naming after 1nm.
BTW Si atom is 0.12 nm in size. In this case 2nm means 16 atoms across!!

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
World War III is coming, and undoubtedly China and Taiwan will be part and parcel of that: As detailed in the recent book "North Korea, Iran, and the Coming World War: Behold a Red Horse" (see it on Amazon or at Prophecy House's web site ), war is coming, not peace.