News TSMC: Our 3nm Node Comparable to Intel's 1.8nm Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toadster88

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
so is it their 3nm or 2nm that is comparable?

"

TSMC: Our 3nm Node Comparable to Intel's 1.8nm Tech​

By Anton Shilov
published about 8 hours ago
TSMC believes its 2nm technology will beat Intel's 1.8nm-class process."

or is this the whole node vs nanometer naming circus?

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The proverbial appendage measuring contest. My pp(a) is better than your pp(a). But for TSMC to do this that means they’re feeling the heat because they haven’t mentioned intel’s nodes in years. Perhaps they’re trying to head off losing some customers to Intel. But if TSMC is feeling the heat then that might mean Intel has something viable.

Last edited:
Reactions: P.Amini

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

"

By Anton Shilov

Perhaps TSMC 2nm is just a optimized 3nm, just like their 6nm that's pretty much derived from their 7nm?

Anyway, its funny that TSMC can compare with a node that is not ready till 2024. I mean TSMC can claim all they want, or Intel can give their node some impressive name. But at the end of the day, it all boils down to the performance of the actual product. In my opinion, TSMC's 3nm seems like a flop for now, given that Apple's A17 SOC don't appear to perform much better when it comes to power vs performance. It performs better in GPU because of the extra GPU core, but at the expense of higher power draw it seems.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Honestly, the original headline: "TSMC: Our 3nm Node Comparable to Intel's 1.8nm Tech" is more impressive if true.

Intel's renaming scheme was intended to bring their nodes in line with TSMC's nodes, i.e. Intel 4 is the equal of TSMC N4, Intel 20A is the equal of TSMC N2. If the reality is that TSMC N3 is as good as Intel 18A, then Intel's node-a-year strategy is the least they can do to stay competitive.

Then on top of that, they claim N3 costs less than 18A. Probably true since it's a FinFET node, nothing fancy. They move to GAAFETs at N2.

isofilm

Honorable
Oct 17, 2018
Intel can't even catch Samsung, let alone TSMC. Samsung has been producing wafers using EUV since 2020 (albeit low yields), and Intel's first EUV fab (Fab 34 in Ireland) is just beginning Risk Production. Fab 34 in Ireland is unlikely to produce "SoC complexity" wafers with commercially viable yields before 2025.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Intel can't even catch Samsung, let alone TSMC. Samsung has been producing wafers using EUV since 2020 (albeit low yields), and Intel's first EUV fab (Fab 34 in Ireland) is just beginning Risk Production. Fab 34 in Ireland is unlikely to produce "SoC complexity" wafers with commercially viable yields before 2025.

Uh oh. . . someone doesn't know about D1.

isofilm

Honorable
Oct 17, 2018
Uh oh. . . someone doesn't know about D1.
Uh oh... You don't know that D1, or any other Intel fab on the planet (except Fab 34 in Ireland), doesn't have EUV HVM capacity.

Fab 34 just recently received enough EUV tools required to produce Intel 4 wafers.

A few EUV tools here and there can only make low yield prototypes at best.

You clearly don't have a clue as to how many EUV tools are required for HVM of SoC complexity wafers.

By the end of 2023 Intel will only have less than 25 EUV tools, whereas TSMC will have over 125.

JayNor

Honorable
May 31, 2019
Intel-3 Sierra Forest and Granite Rapids are already in volume qualification, according to Intel's q2 earnings call. Probably being built at d1x mod3.

Intel is building GPU tiles and SOC tiles at TSM. They claim to have all the capacity they need currently. I believe the CPU tile on MTL is their only Intel-4 tile.

JayNor

Honorable
May 31, 2019
I get the impression Intel is about to have more customers than they had planned for at this stage of IFS ... due to the reported TSM CoWoS bottleneck.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
I wonder what makes TSMC believe that Intel's upcoming process nodes will be inferior to their own.
TSMC may have prototypes of their own 18A and they might have already been testing it, but how on earth did they get to test Intel's 18A node which has not yet materialized?
Industry espionage? Or just guessing?
They may do calculations all day long but these will be just theoretical guesstimates as long as there is no real-world testing.

SunMaster

Commendable
Apr 19, 2022
I wonder what makes TSMC believe that Intel's upcoming process nodes will be inferior to their own.
TSMC may have prototypes of their own 18A and they might have already been testing it, but how on earth did they get to test Intel's 18A node which has not yet materialized?
Industry espionage? Or just guessing?
They may do calculations all day long but these will be just theoretical guesstimates as long as there is no real-world testing.

How about Intels previous renaming scheme? I don't for. a second believe intel is on par with TSMC

extremepenguin

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
How much of their confidence is because Intel launched their 20 and 18A nodes using their existing ASML NXE 3000 series equipment rather than waiting for the delivery of the High NA ASML equipment that is coming in 2025.

So I am very sure that TSMC is correct, as they will be using newer ASML units than Intel is using currently for those nodes, but by the time TSMC's 2nm node is online and producing Intel will also have their yet newer ASML hardware which they receive in 2025 so the question is how will TSMCs 2nm compare against Intels 18A+ or maybe 18A+, as those are the two that will be going head to head based on the current timelines from the two companies.

PCWarrior

Distinguished
May 20, 2013
I see the article has now corrected the title and now says that TSMC claims that their 2nm class node (and NOT their 3nm as incorrectly written initially) will beat Intel’s 18A (1.8nm). The forum title is still wrong though. Anyway TSMC saying that their 2nm node is better (in some metric) is more believable than saying that their already existing FINFET 3nm node (which is a failure by the way – at least for the time being) is better than Intel’s 18A (which is based on GAAFET/RibbonFET).

Intel’s 18A is a revision of their 20A process (i.e. their 2nm class node). It is not a truly new node in the classical density doubling sense. Instead it is similar to how TSMC went from ‘20nm’ to ‘16nm’ or from ‘16nm’ to ‘12nm’ or from ‘7nm’ to ‘6nm’ or from ‘5nm’ to ‘4nm’. When Intel renamed their nodes to align with TSMC it decided to follow TSMC’s philosophy of claiming a new node not on the basis of doubling of transistor density but on the basis of improving performance per watt (which is the other characteristic being improved by moving to a new node). A typical node shrink (one that doubles the density) would typically achieve 20-30% better performance per watt so whenever that was achieved (alongside sometimes some modest improvement in density (5-15%)) TSMC and Samsung were claiming a new node. So Intel decided to follow suit. Had Intel not gone through the rabbit hole of following TSMC’s and Samsung’s naming shenanigans and continued to name their nodes solely based on density you would have:

Intel 710nm+++
Intel 47nm
Intel 37nm++
Intel 20A5nm
Intel 18A5nm++

It is likely that in some metric TSMC’s 2nm class node (which will come in three variants N2, N2P and N2X) might beat 18A. That’s not the first time something like that would happen. Right now Intel can claim that their Intel 7 (‘7nm class’ when aligned to TSMC’s naming) is better than TSMC’s N7/N7P (7nm), N6 (6nm), N5 (5nm), N4 (4nm) and N3 (3nm) nodes in terms of transistor performance as it can manufacture cpus that can clock to higher frequencies than cpus manufactured at any of these TSMC’s nodes. It can even claim higher performance per watt at those very high frequencies. In any case it depends on the metric that TSMC will claim such a ‘win’ over 18A.

Reactions: P.Amini

ToBeGood

Prominent
Aug 15, 2023

"

By Anton Shilov

Dear Anton Shilov,
Please don't change your heading because there are analyst out there want to limited it's lost.

C. C. Wei - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited - CEO
Well, Gokul, this is C. C. Wei. Let me answer your question with a very simple answer is that no, but what I will state a little bit long. Actually, we do not underestimate any of our competitors or take them lightly. Having said that, our internal assessment shows that our N3P, now I repeat again,N3P technology, demonstrated comparable PPA to 18A, my competitor's technology, but with an earlier time to market, better technology maturity, and much better cost. In fact, let me repeat again, our 2-nanometer technology without backside power is more advanced than both N3P and 18A and will be semiconductor industry's most advanced technology when it is introduced in 2025. Does that answer your question, Gokul?

Don't let media trying to white washing what is happened. This is a foolish comment from a CEO of a multi billion dollar company. This foolishness needed to be recorded.

I see the article has now corrected the title and now says that TSMC claims that their 2nm class node (and NOT their 3nm as incorrectly written initially) will beat Intel’s 18A (1.8nm). The forum title is still wrong though. Anyway TSMC saying that their 2nm node is better (in some metric) is more believable than saying that their already existing FINFET 3nm node (which is a failure by the way – at least for the time being) is better than Intel’s 18A (which is based on GAAFET/RibbonFET).

Intel’s 18A is a revision of their 20A process (i.e. their 2nm class node). It is not a truly new node in the classical density doubling sense. Instead it is similar to how TSMC went from ‘20nm’ to ‘16nm’ or from ‘16nm’ to ‘12nm’ or from ‘7nm’ to ‘6nm’ or from ‘5nm’ to ‘4nm’. When Intel renamed their nodes to align with TSMC it decided to follow TSMC’s philosophy of claiming a new node not on the basis of doubling of transistor density but on the basis of improving performance per watt (which is the other characteristic being improved by moving to a new node). A typical node shrink (one that doubles the density) would typically achieve 20-30% better performance per watt so whenever that was achieved (alongside sometimes some modest improvement in density (5-15%)) TSMC and Samsung were claiming a new node. So Intel decided to follow suit. Had Intel not gone through the rabbit hole of following TSMC’s and Samsung’s naming shenanigans and continued to name their nodes solely based on density you would have:

Intel 710nm+++
Intel 47nm
Intel 37nm++
Intel 20A5nm
Intel 18A5nm++

It is likely that in some metric TSMC’s 2nm class node (which will come in three variants N2, N2P and N2X) might beat 18A. That’s not the first time something like that would happen. Right now Intel can claim that their Intel 7 (‘7nm class’ when aligned to TSMC’s naming) is better than TSMC’s N7/N7P (7nm), N6 (6nm), N5 (5nm), N4 (4nm) and N3 (3nm) nodes in terms of transistor performance as it can manufacture cpus that can clock to higher frequencies than cpus manufactured at any of these TSMC’s nodes. It can even claim higher performance per watt at those very high frequencies. In any case it depends on the metric that TSMC will claim such a ‘win’ over 18A.
If you are talking about this again then TSMC N2 is just TSMC N5+++++ (which is 7nm)

Uh oh... You don't know that D1, or any other Intel fab on the planet (except Fab 34 in Ireland), doesn't have EUV HVM capacity.

Fab 34 just recently received enough EUV tools required to produce Intel 4 wafers.

A few EUV tools here and there can only make low yield prototypes at best.

You clearly don't have a clue as to how many EUV tools are required for HVM of SoC complexity wafers.

By the end of 2023 Intel will only have less than 25 EUV tools, whereas TSMC will have over 125.
How many interconnect layer is Intel 4, because it is the first time it use EUV unlike TSMC, we can believed that not all 16 layers is done in EUV, looking at the chart below, (although pitch is only a indicator), the case is that might be intel only needed to use EUV in M0, but, let say there is a higher increase between M4 to M5 layer, therefore it is an educated guess that M0-M4 EUV layer the rest is DUV layer.

According to a number of site, Meteor CPU chiplet is smallest, and the fact that out of the 16 layers only 5 needed EUV so to have only Intel D1 to have EUV machine in itself is enough to put out Meteor Lake Laptop only volume, I think ASML is slow to produce the machine, (i.e. there was a fire) but I am not going to give the benefit and say it is totally the management fault, but to focus on the most valuable segment and keep Intel 4 going as it should be, as a shareholder, I think I am Ok with this.

Be Honest, TSMC is non-investment grade because it's CEO can say things never should come out of his month. If you are in trouble, admin it, come with a plan, not going out to say lies which to an educated person is just an insult.
intel-4-metal-1.png

xcx

Status
Not open for further replies.