TSMC Prepping 20nm Manufacturing Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Looks like Maxwell with either be delayed a year or be 28nm then. I really think it'll be delayed then, I don't think nVidia would like to still be on 28nm chips.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
@Shankovich - Huh? Previous reports were targeting Q2 2014 20nm starting and ramping up in Q3/Q4 2014. Why would Nvidia push back Maxwell (20nm) when their schedule already targets an annual release of next-gen products in the Spring, especially now that TSMC is moving ahead of their previous schedule by a Quarter.

If anything that can almost guarantee Maxwell will be back on schedule at 20nm just in time and if anything I can guarantee you AMD/Nvidia, two of TSMC's biggest clients, are working tightly with them on time lines for each of there products.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@bison88 Last time I checked they were saying Q1 2014, sorry I guess I'm a bit behind in news haha. That's great then, that means AMD and nVidia will launch new architectures in the same window and we'll have even ground (timing wise) again :D

ptmmac

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I suspect Apple is working with TSMC to move it's production on 20nm for the iPhone. Apple could easily guarantee 4 or 5 billion in Revenue for the A8 chip. I would not be surprised if Apple updated the chip in the iPhone this June while doing the larger format screen. Their traditional 3 tiered production system which is evident in Macs and iPods would tend to indicate that there is a missing product on this new launch. Apple is also well know for paying for Cap Ex on their suppliers equipment to take some of the risk out of those upfront expenses. It is not like the 150 billion in reserves Apple keeps would be useful in pledging for such endeavors.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
The biggest clients are mobile manufacturers, but VGA chips and architecture is what I look for. I got a Vliw4 40nm VGA, was planning to go with a 770 Phantom but I have to wait the R9s to come out with consequently price drops. Anyway I hope the next gen of cards doesn't come at the last gen crazy prices and over everything I hope they put a stop to recycling bad chips and just do them the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.