News TSMC's Arizona Fab Construction Emerges at Breakneck Speed

nastastic

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Construction continues at breakneck speed, but reporting about images from Dec 2021 is not. There are lots of newer images out there. Google Maps has satellite images more recent.

Check out image on this site reported June 3, with 38 cranes now operating ...

All while the Verge reported in Feb TSMC may be experiencing a 3 to 6 month delay due to contruction delays.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/15/...ab-construction-delays-semiconductor-shortage

If anyone would like to see a site plan, check out this page:

2+2

Prominent
May 11, 2022
Hurry up before China invades Taiwan...
I think China is well aware of when they should hurry up and blockade Taiwan before western fabs come online.

And, they would take advantage of a weak, compromised President of US.
So, my best guess is within a year.

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I think China is well aware of when they should hurry up and blockade Taiwan before western fabs come online.

And, they would take advantage of a weak, compromised President of US.
So, my best guess is within a year.
Too late, they would have had to do that before 2020. But they are using the same language that Russia was using before they stepped in to help, as Russia said.

It is me or for 6 months isnt so impresive, rising the shells is the easy part, it will take a lot longer the plumbing and electrical installations, lets not say about the equipment itself.

From my reading, standard factory building construction is fairly quick. (As others have noted) Most of the components are made by 3rd parties and are modular in nature. HOWEVER the automation of the machines where wafers are carried station to station takes considerable time to get to run smoothly. "Dialing in" (node refinement) can also take several months.

Co BIY

Splendid
Getting the fab tools may be the biggest challenge and somewhat outside of their control.

Also building the factory shells requires none of the hiring and cross-cultural challenges that will be involved in TSMC's first major non-Taiwanese production facility. TSMC is somewhat unique in that it is a globally important company without yet being a really "Global Corporation.'" This is a big step in that direction and they know how to execute.