Tualatin Prices???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

>LOL! he said AN EQUALLY SETUP TUALATIN! up against a tbird.

Ok, so how is a 166MHz FSB on the Tuly "EQUALLY SETUP" compared to the 133MHz FSB on the Athlon? Even the clock speeds aren't the same (1.42 vs. 1.33)

And the overclocked Tuly still lost a few. Checkout that Dronez benchmark on the second link I gave you. Beaten by 41%

>I should've made myself clearer and I've should've known
>you zealots would try and put a spin on this.

How is this a spin?

The Tuly got completely smoked running stock. Not a single mark in the win category.

And it still lost 3 out of 8 benchmarks (sometimes by quite a bit) when heavily overclocked.

All this by a 1.33GHz Athlon. Not even the fastest Athlon available, and not overclocked.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already posted on this a long time ago. YOu and metallocker are morons, the 512k Tualatin beets up on the T-Bird when they are both set to a 133MHz bus speed and multiplier, I even showed the link. When you overclock the Tualatin too far the chipset turns back your memory timing and AGP speed, keep it under 141 to get the full speed out of the board.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
If you have check the link i made.TUTU beat t-bird in all benchmark in clock for clock, the site only made clock for clock at 1.2 so a 1.3 T-bird surly beat a tutu.Tutu have just a couple of mobo wait for ASUS to have a reference and intel will surly have a DDR chipset.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"unlike you some ppl prefer to pay for stability and performance as a Tualatin will rip a new a-hole into a tbird so fast: it won't have time to burn out!"</font color=blue>

Clock for clock, the Tualatin loses. Especially with its weak FPU.

But, how about it folks? Which of you (besides the rocket scientist Juin) will pay 4 times the price of a 1.1ghz Athlon to have the "Stability" and inferior performance of a 1.13ghz Tualatin? Pricing based on speculation from this thread.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
1) Which one beats the other clock-for-clock is debatable, especially since I don't remember anyone pitting a "tutu" against an AthlonMP.

2) Even if it does win clock-for-clock, the "tutu" will probably be perpetually behind the T-bird in both MHz and performance-per-$. Or, after the whole P4 MHz controversy, do you and the other Intel lapdogs plan to do a convenient about-face, and say that clock-for-clock comparisons really <i>are</i> important? You can't have it both ways.

3) DDR is going to be pretty much worthless on the tualatin--I understand the thing still has only a 1.06GB/sec bus. Same reason RAMBUS is worthless with a P3.

AmdMeltdown:
You have yet to prove that Athlons are any less stable than P3s. Produce a list if ten current T-bird incompatibilities, if you can. Seems FUGGER needs all the help he can get...

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

>I already posted on this a long time ago.

Sorry, I must have missed that. The only other reviews I've seen are in Chinese, and I'm not interested in a review I can't read. Can you post it again?

Looking at Tom's review, the 256k Tualatin is impressive by PIII standards. But that's about it. I look forward to reviews of 512k chips at higher clocks.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

>You wouldn't be interested, they are in chinese!

You're right. I'm not.

I'm not trying to be close-minded here. But I don't read Chinese. Which means I can't read any caveats or explanations that may have been made [sarcasm](This new CPU is blazing fast, but we had to chill the room down to 10C, and try the benchmark 5 times before it would complete)[/sarcasm]

I'm also unfamiliar with the site, so I don't have any feel for the reputation and qualifications of the people doing the testing.

The charts certainly look promising in some of the Chinese reviews I've looked at. As I said before, I'm very interested in seeing more reviews. Preferably that I can read.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)