Tualatin wh00ps some mayor ass

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From a marketing point of view, it looks like Intel may have shot itself in the foot. It has extended the life of its 6 year old core by successfully making it run at a higher clock speed. It is now as fast or faster then the P4. That will help P4 sales! It almost guarantees that a faster P3 will not appear, as it will leave the P4 in the dust. But it still has the same FPU, inferior to the Athlon.

Nice to see that yet another MB is needed for this chip. Intel always keeps compatibility and upgradability (is that a word?) in mind.

Will it be a success? We'll have to wair for the answers to the following questions:

Will Intel price this below the cost of Athlon?
What will the price be for the new motherboards?
Can Intel meet the system price/performance of AMD? With nForce?

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Clock for clock, the Athlon is doing as well or better than the overclocked Tualatin. I'm not even really too concerned with the Tualatin, since it's just eking the last out of the 686 core. I don't even care how well it would do with a FSB equal to the Athlon's, it will probably never even have a 166MHz FSB anyways. The coreis just too decrepit to stack up anymore. :tongue:

the Northwood will continue the rampage. AMD zealots THE PARTY IS OVER!!!
That's assuming it's all you expect it to be (question mark on that), and assuming that FUGGER's not lying out his ass (BIG question mark there). To take a FUGGER quote, "we all know what happens when you ass-u-me."

Hell, if Northwood actually stacks up, woo-hoo for Intel. I may actually buy a couple. But here and now, no matter how loud you bark, the day still belongs to AMD. :wink:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

Considering this will mean a mobo upgrade for most users, its a case of to little, too late. Unless of coure its price point on release is a small fraction of other options in the market place. I wonder why they waited so long? Is there any likelyhood of reaching 2GHZ? Considering the high end CAD and 3D market haven't embraced the P4 instruction set, perhaps they have intentions on lengthening the P3 product cycle?

"no kelder....you can't shoot goblins in wordpad"

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
It brings many questions to the table. Are they having a hard time trying to get the p4 to draw less power and run cooler? If they are that would be a reason to keep the p3 alive...laptops.

The new chips hardly kicks anythings asp if you consider the FSB it was running at.

I hope northwood does kick ass.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A couple of things about this processor. Why did we have to wait? Is Intel force feeding its users the p4? I, being more on the side of AMD ( although I do own a p3) actually liked what I saw here. But like tonestar said "to little to late".

A couple of things to note however, as others have mentioned. Has anyone taken note of Tom's benchmarking as of late? Granted it was nice to see that the tulatin was capable of being overclocked ( and quite impressively I might add) What the hell was he thinking when he choose the other processors for comparison??? Did anyone else note the lack of p4 scores at anything below 1.7 gig? Was he afraid to show these for fear it may bring the rath of Intel down on him? Why not compare it to a 1.1 gig athlon and then run then stock for stock, and if you want to overclock them as well do the same to both? At least this would keep things equal! All his 3d tests were totally wacked with an overclocked agp card against ones running at stock speeds ( and this goes for the p4 as well as the athlon). Come on Tom, what is happening here?

And before I start a flame war here, this is not meant to be a slam against the p3 ( which is a good cpu albeit overpriced) but more so as to the recent benchtest/comparisons by this once great site.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Can I remind the thread that the majority of benchmarks only saw Tualatin in the high end camp when it was heavily overclocked. This is great that it can do it, and all that but it is of no use to current PIII owners since you need a new mobo.

Also, it does not prove it runs well. As stock all is back to normal and it runs in the expected curve from a 1G PIII - a few % better and well behind P4 or Athlon.

For Sysmark and content creation it is still behind everything at 1.13 (stock speed).

If you want to say it whoops everything then you have to compare like for like. Overclocked v.s. overclocked or stock v.s. stock.

I do not think this chip is especially useful. Sure - go and buy a new mobo to support a chip that is 10 months late and probably has little future path. I think I'd stick to AMD or wait for Northwood and see what that can do. I doubt many people will buy the new Tualatin unless it can be run on existing mobos.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details