[SOLVED] Tube Amplifier, DAC and My New Build Question

huskylawyer

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
So I'm building a new rig (gaming, light video editing/streaming, music/movies) and I need to consider my tube amplifier (Woo Audio WA2 Tube Headphone Amplifier) and Sennheiser HD 800 headphones. I also have a Meridian Direct DAC.

I currently use my AppleTV and opt link it to my Meridian DAC for music and movie sound. Analog goes from my DAC to the Woo headphone amp and my HD 800 connects to the amp. Seems to work well.

My question is for my new PC build, should I consider a motherboard that does DAC with analog outs, or perhaps a dedicated sound card (which would route to my tube amplifier). Maybe just keep the Meridian DAC and have that receive audio from my new rig? Any suggestions on hardware much appreciated.

Any suggestions appreciated. I hope the above makes sense and let me know if you need additional info.

Solution
D
Generally you'd just use USB from the PC to the DAC. That completely bypasses anything in your PC. With how picky the HD800 is with sources and amplification I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the PC to fit them.

Now you could probably upgrade that DAC. Here's the best reference of its type I know of:

D

Deleted member 217926

Generally you'd just use USB from the PC to the DAC. That completely bypasses anything in your PC. With how picky the HD800 is with sources and amplification I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade the PC to fit them.

Now you could probably upgrade that DAC. Here's the best reference of its type I know of:

Reactions: huskylawyer
Solution

huskylawyer

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Makes sense.