[SOLVED] TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (WI-FI) Compatibility Questions

legacydesign

Prominent
Feb 21, 2021
Hello!

Looking to potentially purchase this motherboard today but can't seem to find the answer to my questions.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...l-series/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS-WI-FI/techspec/

1. Does it support 3600 memory? When I look at the specs, it has "3600 (O.C.)" listed. Does that mean it only supports 3600 if I overclock my Ram (I have no intention of OCing anything to be honest).

2. I was also thinking of getting the NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case. When I put it into PCPartPicker with this motherboard I get the following warning, "NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable." Is there anyway to work around this in case I want to use the Type C USB port on the front of the PC?

https://www.nzxt.com/products/h710-matte-white

Solution
3600Mhz is officially considered an "overclock" for all current Ryzen CPU's as they are rated only to 3200Mhz. So while achieving 3600 speed is going to depend on the quality of your specific CPU and memory it's not uncommon at all with the current maturity of the 7nm process whether Ryzen 3000 or Ryzen 5000 CPU's. Some tweaking may be required though, usually manually setting the DRAM voltage.

Lack of internal type C connector for use with front panel cases is a major failing of the B550m TUF boards since they're marketed in the 'premium' mATX class. The only way I know to use the front panel with one is to get an add-in card with a connection on it but I've yet to find one. Otherwise there is a Type C on the rear panel; it's a bit...
3600Mhz is officially considered an "overclock" for all current Ryzen CPU's as they are rated only to 3200Mhz. So while achieving 3600 speed is going to depend on the quality of your specific CPU and memory it's not uncommon at all with the current maturity of the 7nm process whether Ryzen 3000 or Ryzen 5000 CPU's. Some tweaking may be required though, usually manually setting the DRAM voltage.

Lack of internal type C connector for use with front panel cases is a major failing of the B550m TUF boards since they're marketed in the 'premium' mATX class. The only way I know to use the front panel with one is to get an add-in card with a connection on it but I've yet to find one. Otherwise there is a Type C on the rear panel; it's a bit inconvenient so I got a high quality extension (male connector on one end, female on the other) and brought it around to the front.

If it's really, really, important to use a front panel type C and cable extension is out of the question then the B550m Mortar Wifi comes with one. It's every bit the equal of, or slightly better than, B550m TUF boards otherwise

Solution

legacydesign

Prominent
Feb 21, 2021

Lack of internal type C connector for use with front panel cases is a major failing of the B550m TUF boards since they're marketed in the 'premium' mATX class. The only way I know to use the front panel with one is to get an add-in card with a connection on it but I've yet to find on. Otherwise there is a Type C on the rear panel; it's a bit inconvenient so I got a high quality extension (male connector on one end, female on the other) and brought it around to the front.

If it's really, really, important to use a front panel type C and cable extension is out of the question then the B550m Mortar Wifi comes with one. It's every bit the equal of, or slightly better than, B550m TUF boards otherwise

Great stuff.

Regarding 3600 - I am just not wanting to buy something unless it is going to be leveraged by my PC. I don't know how much I want to mess around with manually setting the DRAM voltage either. Therefore, I am wondering if it just makes more sense to go with the 3200Mhz RAM? Thoughts on that?

Sad to hear about the type c front port, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I'll take a look at the B550M TUF board as well.

Hello!

Looking to potentially purchase this motherboard today but can't seem to find the answer to my questions.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...l-series/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS-WI-FI/techspec/

1. Does it support 3600 memory? When I look at the specs, it has "3600 (O.C.)" listed. Does that mean it only supports 3600 if I overclock my Ram (I have no intention of OCing anything to be honest).

2. I was also thinking of getting the NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case. When I put it into PCPartPicker with this motherboard I get the following warning, "NZXT H710 ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable." Is there anyway to work around this in case I want to use the Type C USB port on the front of the PC?

https://www.nzxt.com/products/h710-matte-white
Don't worry too much, MB supports memory over 4000MHz and so does 3000 series Ryzen. All you should have to do is to enable XMP. Only thing that's "Overclocked" is Memory controller in the CPU and that's done automatically with XMP.

Great stuff.

Regarding 3600 - I am just not wanting to buy something unless it is going to be leveraged by my PC. I don't know how much I want to mess around with manually setting the DRAM voltage either. Therefore, I am wondering if it just makes more sense to go with the 3200Mhz RAM? Thoughts on that?

Sad to hear about the type c front port, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I'll take a look at the B550M TUF board as well.
It definitely makes sense for 3200. I have 3200 that I tweaked up to 3600 speed, although I had to adjust a lot more settings than just voltage to do it.

Even with 3600 speed many people have just enabled XMP (or DOCP as Asus calls it) and never look back. The usual reason you have to manually set voltage is because sometimes the BIOS doesn't do it for you so it boot-loops. Manually setting DRAM voltage is easy, and just a little bit below where you enable DOCP on the BIOS screen so not hard to find.

I misunderstood....I thought you were talking about the Tuf B550m-gaming plus. It's pretty much the same as the Tuf B550-gaming plus and still lacks the connector for a front panel type C. Luckily, there are lots more choices in B550 ATX boards: I think the B550 Strix-f Wifi has one.