[SOLVED] TUF Mobo for budget theme build

heavymetal2000

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
So I’ve been messing around with the idea of a TUF themed build because black and gold looks sick and I like the digital camo effect on some of the parts.

I’ve got my heart set on most of the parts I have confidence in but the Mobo is holding me back and can be an absolute deal breaker here.

I’ll be running a Ryzen 2600 in it, air cooled in the inwin 101 tuf case with a gammax gt tuf tower cooler in push pull.

My question is, if I opt for the budget friendly b450 plus gaming, will it take a mild overclock for everyday use plus gaming safely? I’m not looking to break records, just a little boost.

Is the X470 plus gaming any better? What are the real differences between it and the b450 plus gaming? Reason I ask is I have one available brand new private sale for less then the b450 model.

For the sake of the rest of my components it would be

Seasonic focus 550w platinum
XPG tuf ddr4 3200 2x8gb
And either the red devil or nitro+ 5700 xt.

Any info is greatly appreciated, I’d like to stick with the tuf line of Mobo mostly for aesthetics and budget as the gpu is already damn near half the cost of my build lol.

Thanks!

Solution

Any info is greatly appreciated, I’d like to stick with the tuf line of Mobo mostly for aesthetics and budget as the gpu is already damn near half the cost of my build lol.

Thanks!
Avoid the TUF B450 Plus Gaming.... look instead for the TUF B450 Pro Gaming. That because the PLUS has a pretty weak VRM that was much improved on the PRO. The PRO will run a lot cooler with mild overclock than the Plus even with no overclock. And it should even support an upgrade to 3700X or maybe even 3900X in the future.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgFG_SucEk&t=768s

Thanks!
Avoid the TUF B450 Plus Gaming.... look instead for the TUF B450 Pro Gaming. That because the PLUS has a pretty weak VRM that was much improved on the PRO. The PRO will run a lot cooler with mild overclock than the Plus even with no overclock. And it should even support an upgrade to 3700X or maybe even 3900X in the future.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIgFG_SucEk&t=768s

Solution

heavymetal2000

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Another thread regarding the new build I’m looking to do.
I’ve recently considered doing a Tuf themed build and I now have what I believe is the final parts list.
I would like the community to tear it down and tell me why the parts are or are not the best budget option to do what I want to do while maintaining the theme.

Case: InWin 101 TUF edition
104.99$
Reasoning: I really like the look. RGB bezel looks good to me, PSU RGB shroud is a bit flashy but I like it. Overall I just really enjoy the look and it’s cheaper then my current meshify mini C atm that is being sold.

Motherboard: Asus B450 Tuf Pro
164.14$, free shipping
https://www.newegg.ca/asus-tuf-b450-pro-gaming/p/N82E16813119205?item=9SIA7RDA9S7488
Reasoning: upgraded to “10 phase”, beefier VRM, VRM cooling for ~15$ more then the plus model at this price point.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x 298.99$
MikesComputer shop priced matched at ME for the free BL3.
https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/10477693
Reasoning: higher clocks out of the box, BL3 offsets the price difference of a 3600 which currently has no free game.

Ram: XPG TUF RGB 3200
99$ after coupon at amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07GFJ538B/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2UXO5LPTDY3LN&psc=1
Reasoning: fast ram, dirt cheap, RGB, Tuf themed for build.

CPU cooler: Gammaxx TUF gt 0$
Own it already with a second fan on it in push pull, amazing budget cooler.

PSU: seasonic Focus 550w platinum
Free, already own it. Great unit so far.

SSD: Team L5 1TB 114.99$
Bought as a shell shocker through new egg for this build already.
Reasoning: Seemed like a great price for a well reviewed 1TB SSD.
Still under 15 days and not opened so I can return it if need be.

Gpu: ASUS 5700xt x3 Tuf edition 549.99$
Reasoning: tuf themed, cheaper then most other units by 60-90$
Worries: not many reviews, some people claim great performance and a “little loud”, others say high thermals and jet engine sound.
I can deal with a little noise on a budget build but I’d rather it not scream in my ear. I wear open back headphones. Also comes with GR: Breakpoint so it’s a bonus as it’ll savor me the 60+$ On that in the long run.

This comes in around the1300$ mark before taxes, I’d consider going less but I’d like to avoid more.
All input is welcome!

g-unit1111

Titan
I'd get different RAM. Stick with the known and tested brands like G. Skill, Corsair, ADATA, Hyper X and so on. I know it's good to stick with a theme but I'd personally choose the better hardware. Getting G Skill Trident Z or Corsair Vengeance wouldn't add any extra cost to your build.

I'd also add a primary storage drive like an Intel 660P and then use your other drive as a secondary storage. But that's me.

heavymetal2000

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 atm I can use for a bios update prior to my buddy buying my other PC from me.
My biggest concern with the Mobo was if it was a solid board for a 3600x being the only sub 200$ Tuf board that isn’t super budget like the plus models.

Secondary storage atm is two 1TB WD HDD that I already own as adding another SSD breaks my budget. Main reason I have that one was cost. If an m.2 did come on sale I’d consider a swap though.
Is the intel 660p a much better option for a pure gaming PC that is generally always on?
Thanks!

In regards to the XPG ram, I’d love to keep it for the theme but there are other options for Tuf ram they’re just much much more expensive except for the the Geil Luce tga but it’s only 3000/cl16.
Any suggestions for 3200/15 RGB that isn’t super pricey?
Also if it matters, xpg offers lifetime warranty on the sticks.
Worst case scenario what issues could I run into with the XPG stuff?

I have trident Z in my current desktop and like it, but it was 50$ more.

Also if I opt for the pro, does the b450m lack anything the b450 has in terms or overclocking?

I don’t need dual gpu support at all.

How silly is an mAtx board gonna look in a mid tower?
The full-size ATX variant shares the same basic VRM design so I should think they'd overclock very similarly. Not that you really should run an all-core overclock on a 3600X; use PBO instead and let the processor manage itself. It will run cooler, with a lot less trouble and yet provide very nearly identical performance.

Make sure the motherboard you get has been updated to a Ryzen 3000 compatible processor unless you happen to have a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 processor you can get hold of to update it with.

Reactions: heavymetal2000

g-unit1111

Titan
In regards to the XPG ram, I’d love to keep it for the theme but there are other options for Tuf ram they’re just much much more expensive except for the the Geil Luce tga but it’s only 3000/cl16.
Any suggestions for 3200/15 RGB that isn’t super pricey?
Also if it matters, xpg offers lifetime warranty on the sticks.
Worst case scenario what issues could I run into with the XPG stuff?

I have trident Z in my current desktop and like it, but it was 50$ more.

That was an issue last year because there was a RAM shortage due to the iPhone X using the same B-die as Samsung DDR4, but now that's been evened out you should be able to find any of the major brands for around $100 for 16GB.

Reactions: heavymetal2000

heavymetal2000

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
I’ll take a peak at what else is available. I’m trying not to stray too far from my theme atm but it seems like I may be better off scrapping the Tuf theme if I really want to be selective about price and parts.

Another question:
Is the seasonic focus 550w platinum going to be sufficient for a 3600/5700xt build with 1ssd and 16gb of ram?

The build only says it’s ~400w but I’m curious.