[SOLVED] Tunder K8SD PRO rebirth

Jun 17, 2020
I have this motherboard ( S2882-D never previously installed). I have the DDR memory, opteron 275 CPUs, extATXcase, power supply, that's all.

I would like to break out with some cards that can increase its usefulness in today's terms.

I believe that through its PCI-X I can increase its SATA capability to SATA-2 and perhaps use SSD drives. Also I believe I can use SCSI (i.e. Dual PCI-X 320MBs RAID Controller) as a breakout but in this case I am not sure how to connect to a SSD, or SSHD or HD or if it is of any advantage.

What is your advice?

Solution
I wouldn't expect a 15 year old server system to do those tasks well at all.

Video rendering & Image manipulation generally uses CPU with some GPU assisted functions if available so you should be able to do this but it will be much slower then on even a low end modern system.

AI generally uses a GPU and that board only having PCI-X slots will severely limit your GPU selection to old tech. You might not even be able to find a card with 256mb of ram.
Jun 17, 2020
Whats the role you are trying to fill with this ancient beast? Server? Gaming? Office work? Casual user - email & websurfing...?
Perhaps only some experimental video rendering and image manipulation codework. Also some AI through some neural codes developed ages ago, again never tested

Last edited by a moderator:

popatim

Titan

Video rendering & Image manipulation generally uses CPU with some GPU assisted functions if available so you should be able to do this but it will be much slower then on even a low end modern system.

AI generally uses a GPU and that board only having PCI-X slots will severely limit your GPU selection to old tech. You might not even be able to find a card with 256mb of ram.

Solution
Jun 17, 2020

OK I got that hank you but what about breaking out with two PCI to SCSI boards. Where does that lead me to?

Jun 17, 2020
There are no such things as Scsi GPU's.
Scsi usually connects drives and peripherals, such as scanners, and is much to slow to run a GPU.

I see and I thank you for the advice. I have adequately shown my ignorance by now. I will look for a more modern solution with the help of experts....Over and out...again thanx all