[SOLVED] Tuner card not recognized when it's in PCIe x4 slot ?

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Hello,

My motherboard is Gigabyte 97M-D3H. It has two pcie slots. One pciex16, one pciex4. For size, the graphics card must be plugged in the x6 slot. (the x4 slot is too close to the PSU so there is insufficient space).

I have bought a satellite tuner card (TBS6902) which must be plugged in a pcie slot: https://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6902-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html

Unfortunately, the PC (Windows 7 ultimate) doesn't recognize any new hardware when I plug it in the x4 slot. However, if I remove the graphics card and I plug the TBS6902 card in the x16 slot, then Windows recognizes the new hardware, I can install drivers and it actually works well with the integrated graphics.

But I need my graphics card. Any ideas on how I can make the PC recognize the TBS6902 card when I plug it in the x4 slot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
That should just work. Might check your BIOS for anything that might be using PCIe lanes that would normally go to that slot. For instance if you had a lot of SATA drives. You only need 1x, so that shouldn't be a problem anyway. You could try disabling internal devices just to see if it gets detected. Though this computer also has a PCI bus, so some stuff is probably hooked up through there.

x16 slot is dedicated to the CPU only, the 4x slot is coming from the chipset.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That should just work. Might check your BIOS for anything that might be using PCIe lanes that would normally go to that slot. For instance if you had a lot of SATA drives. You only need 1x, so that shouldn't be a problem anyway. You could try disabling internal devices just to see if it gets detected. Though this computer also has a PCI bus, so some stuff is probably hooked up through there.

x16 slot is dedicated to the CPU only, the 4x slot is coming from the chipset.

Solution

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Might check your BIOS for anything that might be using PCIe lanes that would normally go to that slot. For instance if you had a lot of SATA drives.

Thank you. I have two hard disks only. Anyway, what should I check in bios? (not an expert)

Also, when you suggest "You could try disabling internal devices just to see if it gets detected. ". Which internal devices could I try disabling and how could I do that?

hukkus

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
No, it doesn't work in the pciex4 slot either using the graphics card or using integrated graphics. In both cases it is not detected.

Worth mentioning that I have an old pcsat card, the skystar hd2, which is detected and works well in that pciex4 slot.

A bit strange, there must be something somewhere, because the card is supposed to work in x4 slots. Today I have received a new replacement card (in case the previous one was faulty), but same results (it works in the x16 slot, not in the x4 slot)