Tuner recommendations needed

lacoon

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I just built a gaming computer and would like to use it for HDTV viewing whilst snowbirding in Florida so I need recommendations for a TV tuner. I don't need OTA just cable input, and I won't be recording just watching - if I miss something I'll Hulu it :)

The system configuration is :

XFX Radeon HD 5850

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P6TD Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

HP 2509m 25" 3ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor

Windows 7 Home

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
ASUS My Cinema-PE9400
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
Compro E900F

With those cards and XP Media Center Edition, Vista, or Win7 you can not only watch but also record like a DVR with Windows Media Center. Most of the reviews I've read say that it is better then the bundled software but I wont know personally until I get the computer I plan to use for this together.

Also be sure to look into getting a signal amplifier for the incoming signal to improve quality. You should be able to find those at a local RadioShack, Best Buy, or other electronics store. Such amplifiers also work for cable modems from what I hear. I do plan on getting one soon.

Another feature to look for is a "IR Blaster" that lets your computer send the same commands as your remote to do things like turn on/off or change channel at a specific time even when your not home to your cable/satellite box.

One feature I liked with the Compro is that it has a pass though for your cases power button so you can turn your system on and off with the included remote.