Question Turbo boost not working ?

Sep 22, 2022
I recently bought a Intel i5 3470s 3rd gen i have enabled the turbo boost in the bios and also disable 2 cores but still it shows 2.90ghz as the base it's not going up to 3.60 which is it's turbo boost i have h61 motherboard....can somone plz help how to enable it plz?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Single core turbo is higher than all core turbo yes albeit all core turbo would only be 200 or so MHz lower than single core turbo and won't reduce to base speeds. Something else is at play here, either settings or temps. Coretemp is to see how your cpu is operating under stress with intel burn test.

Sep 22, 2022
Single core turbo is higher than all core turbo yes albeit all core turbo would only be 200 or so MHz lower than single core turbo and won't reduce to base speeds.

Hello i did all the things u said like changing power plan to default which was at balanced earlier then to change bios to default and did burn test which u can see in the pasted image still in properties it shows 2.90 as base and no more it's going to 3.60 even while gaming nor in my computer it shows ...can u help me fix it plz

Sep 22, 2022
Sep 22, 2022
Temps are fine so it's not that. Don't know why it's capped at 2.9. Should be 3.4 all core.

Check bios again that turbo is enabled and disable speedstep. Then in windows, try performance power plan.
In my bios the speedstep is on your right but when i disable it the turbo boost feature also gets disabled....
Should I proceed like this?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Speedstep needs to be enabled then for turbo to work. Turbo should be working as far as bios is concerned.

Possibly something running in Windows is preventing it. What programs are launching on startup? Check startup items in task manager if running Win10. Or type msconfig in task bar search and check startup tab there.

Sep 22, 2022
Speedstep needs to be enabled then for turbo to work. Turbo should be working as far as bios is concerned.

Possibly something running in Windows is preventing it. What programs are launching on startup? Check startup items in task manager if running Win10. Or type msconfig in task bar search and check startup tab there.
Okay i will do it but what are the possible programs that can prevent the boost kindly name them sir...otherwise it will be difficult for me to disable the right one

boju

Titan
Ambassador
When Windows is installed for the first time there's nothing in startup items. Anything listed there is installed by the user, so likely programs can be antivirus software actually, if it provides system optimisation features. Can share a screenshot if you want.

Do you have a spare hdd to test a windows reinstall? This would prove if Windows or anything else software wise is the cause.

@Anujjha9987

Run ThrottleStop.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post a screenshot of the main window as well as the TRL and TPL windows. Also post a screenshot of the C states window while your computer is idle. The core C states need to be enabled in the BIOS for Intel Turbo Boost to work correctly on your CPU.

It is likely that the BIOS is not setting the CPU up correctly. Are you using the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? SpeedStep also needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

Run the ThrottleStop TS Bench test and set that test to 1 Thread. Take a screenshot of ThrottleStop while this test is running so I can see what CPU multipliers and speed are reported by ThrottleStop. Exit Core Temp and any other monitoring programs. The more information you show me, the better chance I will have of solving this problem for you. It is usually something very simple.