Question Turbo Boost on top of manual Overclock, safe or not?

Mar 31, 2019
So I'm rather new to overclocking and am just trying to get a decent overclock on my i5-6600K which is base 3.5. I followed a guide and set it 4.2, and it was fine did a stress test with y-cruncher and cinebench r20. Both went fine, no crashes and I was about to test it out on a game when I noticed Task Manager was read 5.0ghz instead of 4.2. This got me wonder wtf was going on. I realized it was because of Turbo Boost and found a way to turn it off (Changes Power settings from Performance to Balanced).
Now with that said, it technically did fine through the tests at 5.0ghz, would it be bad for my chip to run that high while gaming for a few hours? I only have my VCore at 1.250.

Turbo Boost should be disabled in the BIOS not Power Options. Task manager readings are not the most reliable. My 3570K would show some ridiculous number like 5.3Ghz with Turbo Boost in Task Manager.

It's perfectly safe. The issue with Turbo Boost and overclocking is it can add an element of instability. If the Turbo Boost pushes the CPU beyond what it's current OC settings can handle the system will crash. Generally one would disable Turbo Boost and fine tune their OC settings. Then once you know the stable threshold of your CPU. If you want to start tweaking more. Tweak your Turbo Boost settings. To see if you can get a couple extra tenths of a ghz on 1, 2, 3, &c cores.

As long as your system remains stable. There is no need to turn off Turbo Boost. Since your temps and VCORE are still fine. Although if you can Turbo Boost to 5Ghz. You may be able to go a little higher than 4.2 on your current VCORE or drop your VCORE a little for greater energy efficiency.

Mar 31, 2019
Turbo Boost should be disabled in the BIOS not Power Options.
Yeah I thought so too, but couldn't turn Turbo Boost off. I looked it up and if you have your system on Performance Power it turns it on automatically on the new Cpu's. I had Turbo Boost turned off after I updated to the latest BIOS on my z170a and now it's locked on Enabled again. Slightly annoying but it doesn't automatically kick in now.

Since then I've pushed up to 4.4GHz and it's run smooth through AIDA64 and CinebenchR20. I'm about to give it the real gaming test tonight to see if it can handle it.

Thanks for letting my know about Turbo Boost, I didn't know it had settings that could be altered.

Reactions: DMAN999