Question Turbo boost overclocking

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
What happens to the turbo boost after overclocking the base clock speed? Does it rise the same amount of Ghz as it did before? (Ex if my base clock is 3.7 and tb 4.6 and then I oc to 4.3 does the tb get to 5.2?) or does it stay the same? (Which means that if I oc to over 4.6 ghz it would downclock when turbo boosting, meaning there's no reason to turn tb on?)

Also, how do I set the CPU to automatically choose its voltage and clock speeds, so the oc values are only the maximum ones, which the cpu will be using only when doing intensive tasks like gaming, otherwise using lower voltage and core & memory clocks? Do I need to have turbo boost on?
Thanks and sorry for the long question

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
No. When you overclock you overclock the turbo speed. If your cpu has a 4.6 turbo clock, you'll want to overclock your cpu to either 4.6 or above.

If you leave speedstep on, the CPU will downclock when idle or in light loads and going to overclock speeds when it has usage.
Memory clocks don't change, they stay at the set speed and timings. Voltage for the cpu will adjust based on usage up to what you set it to or the auto setting by the motherboard.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
O
No. When you overclock you overclock the turbo speed. If your cpu has a 4.6 turbo clock, you'll want to overclock your cpu to either 4.6 or above.
Oh awesome so if I oc to 5ghz and leave turbo boost it will stay between 3.7 and 5.0 regarding how heavily it is stresses.

but will the voltage always stay at the value I set or will it also adjust according to how much power it needs?