[SOLVED] Turbo Core on top of Ryzen O/C

thermanshs

Honorable
Mar 1, 2014
Hello since I am new to Ryzen overclocking I would like to know if turbo core would work on top of the overclocked frequency. For instance if a chip works @ 3,6Ghz Base and has a 4,4Ghz Turbo Core frequency, does this mean that if I push the base to 4,2Ghz with O/C turbo core will work @5Ghz? Thanks in advance

Solution
Hello since I am new to Ryzen overclocking I would like to know if turbo core would work on top of the overclocked frequency. For instance if a chip works @ 3,6Ghz Base and has a 4,4Ghz Turbo Core frequency, does this mean that if I push the base to 4,2Ghz with O/C turbo core will work @5Ghz? Thanks in advance
No, that doesn't mean that at all. Most of Ryzen are limited to OC (all cores) to it's top boost clock. Much of it depends on Ryzen generation and motherboard and it's BIOS.
When you set an OC by multiplier and set voltage, boost is disabled although with some MBs and careful BIOS and windows settings it is possible for it to drop in idle conditions. Most of time it would stay at what's manually set.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Well, that's what it would attempt to do if you left the auto-OC functionality enabled.
However, Ryzen chips are not going to hit 5GHz whether an increased base or auto-OC - at least not without some ridiculous voltage/temperatures.

For most chips, you're not going to be able to OC much beyond enabling an "all core" clock equaling the single core boost.

Reactions: thermanshs

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the chip in question, and the 3000 series might change that a little. But generally, don't expect much beyond the turbo clock (on all cores) or +100MHz at best. You might be able to achieve more, but expect the worst, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: thermanshs
No, that doesn't mean that at all. Most of Ryzen are limited to OC (all cores) to it's top boost clock. Much of it depends on Ryzen generation and motherboard and it's BIOS.
When you set an OC by multiplier and set voltage, boost is disabled although with some MBs and careful BIOS and windows settings it is possible for it to drop in idle conditions. Most of time it would stay at what's manually set.

Solution