Question Turbo + Throttle Stop = CPU Crashes?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
I have an HP 8440p. I got this used and the previous owner sold it for a low price saying that it would turn off randomly. Thinking that it was a heating issue (that's the usual cause), I bought it without thinking twice. I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fan, it was dustless and the paste was still sticky btw. I also upgraded the RAM from 4 to 8, both new sticks work btw and I can see 8gb on the 8440p and on another laptop when I used the same sticks there. It randomly turned off twice then for a few days worked flawlessly. After reinstalling Windows10, the apps I use, and the drivers, I added Intel's turbo app for the CPU and Throttlestop in an attempt to get better performance and limit the max temps.

It worked OK for a day then started randomly shutting down, sometimes as Windows was loading, sometimes after Windows loaded, sometimes as soon as you pressed the power button. This 8440p just came back from a repairman and he narrowed the crashes to my main HD that has bad sectors and a faulty i7 760m. He left it on BIOS for hours and it was stable however when the crashes came, anything after the power switch would crash the system. I also told him about the turbo and throttling mentioned above. He added that throttling might be the cause of the crashes as the sensors might be affected.

I have the 8440p back and ordered a compatible i5(in panic and a knee jerk reaction to keep this machine working) in case the CPU finally kicks the bucket but after removing the turbo app and throttling as well as raising the bottom rear of the laptop to allow air beneath, everything is ok again. I use this laptop for Youtube, social media, online classes so its specs are still up to par with those tasks. I'm not into heavy gaming or editing so, again, this laptop is still enough for what I do. Temps now are 60C and 50C for the GPU and CPU. Even with the turbo and throttling they were in the mid 60C and 70C.I've been on it for an hour an it still has not crashed.

Can turbo and throttling confusion and crashes for your system/CPU?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Please close this thread down, I'll be answering my own post.

I remember that TS has a feature to disable turbo and I turned that on. It must have been like kicking the gas and brake at the same time for the 8440. When the 8440 was stable, I uninstalled all unnecessary apps, TS and Intel's turbo included. Upon restart, the temps were lower, no WOOOSH from the fan. It was even low or off at times when I was not watching YT. When on YT, mid 70s for the GPU was alright. I went out for a glass of water and the 8440 was dead on my return. That rules out the turbo and TS clashing as they had been uninstalled and the laptop still crashed. I am now leaning to other components being the culprit and I hope its the CPU as that would be the easiest to replace(replacement is otw too), if the issue is something on the mobo, I'll be sending it to a different repairman.