[SOLVED] Turboboost not working (i7 9700k)

burll977

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018
I purchased an i7 9700k and the turbo boost was working fine and my frames were good when this was working, now after seemingly changing nothing it will not go above the speed of 3.6ghz (Despite the turbo going up to 4.6 before) and most games are having frame drops now.

On the bios screen it says the CPU frequency is at 4.7 ghz with the OC Genie 4 and XMP enabled (z390 a-pro motherboard)

Solution
Does your CPU runs at 3.6GHz after you enable OC Genie?
If yes, what's your power limit and current limit? If your CPU load is more than the power limit/current limit, the CPU may be throttling.

Power limit and current limit options are available in the BIOS menu "OC"\"CPU Features".
But the easiest way to check if there's any power limit/ current limit throttling is installing Intel XTU.

https://download.msi.com/uti_exe/mb/extreme_tuning_6.5.1.330.zip

Launch Intel XTU and run your software, you can see from XTU if there's power limit/current limit throttling.

Hope this helps.

Power94

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
I purchased an i7 9700k and the turbo boost was working fine and my frames were good when this was working, now after seemingly changing nothing it will not go above the speed of 3.6ghz (Despite the turbo going up to 4.6 before) and most games are having frame drops now.

On the bios screen it says the CPU frequency is at 4.7 ghz with the OC Genie 4 and XMP enabled (z390 a-pro motherboard)
1st update your motherboard to last version, then configure it manual and disable all automatic stuff like "oc genie" or some other stupid stuff like that, xmp is ok for your ram. When all is configured manual and correctly you will have your problem fixed. If you dont know how to then i suggest to read manual from your motherboard or you can even watch on YT. Also you can find on YT even some mid manual oc to "copy paste" so that would also not be bad (mid oc, dont go high or extreme as i see you have no idea what you doing). That is my advice. Take care

burll977

Prominent
Nov 29, 2018
1st update your motherboard to last version, then configure it manual and disable all automatic stuff like "oc genie" or some other stupid stuff like that, xmp is ok for your ram. When all is configured manual and correctly you will have your problem fixed. If you dont know how to then i suggest to read manual from your motherboard or you can even watch on YT. Also you can find on YT even some mid manual oc to "copy paste" so that would also not be bad (mid oc, dont go high or extreme as i see you have no idea what you doing). That is my advice. Take care
OC Genie was recommended before on another forum to help with another issue, so if you're trying to insult people genuinely asking for help you carry on doing that buddy

yellowcardyc

Official Forum Representative
Jan 8, 2020
Does your CPU runs at 3.6GHz after you enable OC Genie?
If yes, what's your power limit and current limit? If your CPU load is more than the power limit/current limit, the CPU may be throttling.

Power limit and current limit options are available in the BIOS menu "OC"\"CPU Features".
But the easiest way to check if there's any power limit/ current limit throttling is installing Intel XTU.

https://download.msi.com/uti_exe/mb/extreme_tuning_6.5.1.330.zip

Launch Intel XTU and run your software, you can see from XTU if there's power limit/current limit throttling.

Hope this helps.

Solution
Some mainboard's have a more conservative power-sipping 'Intel-spec' profile as default behavior, as I've seen similar behavior on a 9700K with an Asus Z390A-Prime, where, I'd see correct single core clock speeds of 4.8/4.9 GHz, but, all core loads (such as CPU-Z-stress CPU) would only hit 3.6 GHz or so, even with MCE enabled and temps of only 53-55C.....

A few clicks within Intel's XTU (set clock speed max for 1-2 cores, 3-4 cores, etc., stepping down 100 MHz each step down to 4.6 GHz for an all-core loading, remove power limit and time of turbo duration limits, and, presto, NORMAL turbo-boost 'stepping up/down profile according to core loading' behavior seen at last... (it was indeed elusive searching for whatever was causing such timid behavior in the BIOS with defaults, where a few clicks and a saved profile within XTU can quickly cure all)

TRENDING THREADS