Turion 64 Ml 37 or Core Duo?

ratilio

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I just ordered a computer from hp
is the l2000 with an turion 64 ml 37, but i was wondering if this is a good choice because the core duos are out now and the turion 64 x2 are about to come out in like a month

Is this a good choice?

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I would have waited for the X2 to be released to get a good comparison of both processors. There is also a premium price to be paid for purchasing the duo now.

ratilio

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I'm just wondering in terms of performance
thats the fastest processor i could get with that computer but i do not know how it is in terms of performance

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Core Duo. These things get great battery life. I have two HP laptops with Core Duos sitting on my desk. The more powerful one with a 2GHz Core Duo, 1GB of RAM, 17" Widescreen display, 80GB 5400 rpm drive, and 256MB X1600 says it gets 2 and a half hours of battery life from a full charge. Actually doing something figure 2 hours. Still not bad for that bad ass of a setup.

ratilio

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Yeah is the lance armstrong and i did buy the 12 cell battery
but i'm wondering how is the performance of the processor(2.0ghz) against a pentium m at 2ghz or even a core duo

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
If possible cancel or change the order for a Core Duo processor.
Trust me, Turion is a joke.

and

It's much better at applications that take advantage of dual procesors.
Here's a linkie
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2648&p=10
Core Duo ALL THE WAY,you hear me? ALL THE WAY!
God knows when X2 Turion will arrive to "match" its performance better said to make the Turion series less awfull!

It's funny when someone is asking for a good opinion, and instead, these two assholes come up with this FUD.

Dude, you're far better with a Turion laptop. You'll be Windows Vista ready from day one, not the same thing I can say for the Core Duo since this shitty processor still uses 32 bit processing.

Judging from this review made by THG, 64 bit windows does better on Turion than anything else:
http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/02/09/is_64_bit_mobile_computing_more_promise_than_reality/page9.html

Ratilio: You've made the best choice and you won't regret it.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Dude, you're far better with a Turion laptop. You'll be Windows Vista ready from day one, not the same thing I can say for the Core Duo since this shitty processor still uses 32 bit processing.

NOT meant to start a flame war, but windows vista will run on 32-bit :wink:

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
But Does Core duo Support 64-Bit processing? I have'nt Looked into Core-Duo much. so i donno if it can or not. Otherwise if it does'nt. Tutron will do you better for 64-bit applications for the Future.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
But Does Core duo Support 64-Bit processing?

Core Duo doesn't support 64 bit computing.
It's wasteless to buy this processor since Intel admitted that they will offer 64 bit with their upcoming merom processors.

If you buy a Core Duo, you're stuck with 32 bit Windows XP.

NOT meant to start a flame war, but windows vista will run on 32-bit
64 bit variations will be first. :wink:

Turion X2 will see the light of day in May of this year. It will support dual channel DDR2 and its TDP would be 25-30W. All this coupled with enhanced 64-bit cappabilities.

LithiumSunset

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah i think i will cancel the order and just go for a core duo

There ya go man, good call. That's the best processor out right now and don't worry about the whole 64 bit thing. Yeah, it's been around for a few years and it's just now starting to somewhat take off. You'll be fine with a core duo processor. No sense in buying a 64 bit processor right now. There's just nothing out there to run on it.

Again, Core duo all the way! :wink:

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Oh oh aren't we picky!
AMD turion is a pile o' trash consuming a lot for less performance. And well we are talking about Dual Core. That's the future. 64 bit will be a must no earlier than 2008. Vista will be on 32 bit too.
64 is a cheap pretext coming from an AMD fandroid.
Believe me, 64 bit is just an unused extension for now and it will remain that way. A Core Duo has at least a 2 year period with no 64 bit need problems.
And 9 Inch is a very lamish AMD fanboy. It is him who said that AM2 will see a 30% improvement over 939 with DDR2 800(and as we all know the improvement is 3-5%). You can imagine that he's trying to get you buying this. In fact i'm not surprised if he's paid for posting by AMD.

Go Duo and you won't regret.
Intel leads at this segment. I'd have advised on going AMD if you wanted a desktop but here, in the mobile world Intel leads with a much better performance efficient chip that is now dual core!

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
You're welcome. Always eager to give the BEST of advices.
Go Duo and be happy. Dual CPU>Single so it's worth canceling the Turion order.

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
And 9 Inch is a very lamish AMD fanboy. It is him who said that AM2 will see a 30% improvement over 939 with DDR2 800(and as we all know the improvement is 3-5%).

Here's the @sshole posting sh!t again.

Where in my statements did I ever said that 30% improvement on socket AM2 will be possible by just shifting to DDR2?

10% is still achievable with DDR2 on socket AM2. Once the real thing sees the light of day, then we all can judge AM2 performace with available reviews.

Keep trying harder fanboy. :wink:

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
See Even though there was some Flaming and Fanboying. We had some Intelligent Points and Counterpoints. Ok If you feel like Core Duo is a Good way to go then i'm all for it. Since we all replace our Processers every year There might be completely different Laptop Platform and Playingfield by the time your throwing your Core Duo in the Salvation Army Bin.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Yep you said a 30% improvement of AM2(i mentioned with DDR2 800 cause you mentioned that too). As it is now a fully functional AM2 chip has a 3-5% performance per clock lead with DDR2 800.
And stop insulting fanboy. I understand that you lack control over yourself but try harder not to look like a flammin' good for nothing.