ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Funny that you didn't bother including this quote from your article.

Dual-channel DDR2 memory is likely to require 400-pins on the processor to support memory alone, as DDR2 SO-DIMMs for laptops employ 200-pin form-factor. However, AMD’s next-generation mobile socket – Socket S1 – is expected to have only 638-pins. It is highly improbable that such a chip supports dual-channel memory controller, as 238-pins are unlikely to be enough for power and I/O needs of a processor. Nevertheless, it is possible that AMD intros two infrastructures for mobile computers: with single- and dual-channel memory.
In any case, the Turion X2s have been showcased at CeBit which is much more recent news.

besides the point merom will eat it for breakfast in all areas apart from cost.

i heard its a 600 pin socket and the original s939 "had too many pins to begin with" so by that i say it is dual ddr2.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20051123145003.html
The Turion 64 chips will not only gain additional processing engine, but also dual-channel (Ed: DDR2) memory controller.

That is going to improve onboard video performance in the low end models by a factor of 3 to 4 fold, and that does interest me.

It was obvious perhaps, as the news was slightly dated, but until I saw this it never really hit me.

Who cares?
Turion X2 is announced and already proven pathetic >_<

im not here to pay it out with merom, but yeah, BUT its still upto 2days standards and will provide great budget chips that will still perform strong, and there compedeter will bee dothan and yonah anyhow perhaps.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
Who cares?
Turion X2 is announced and already proven pathetic >_<
you know what ycon you really piss me off look amd is making turion x2 good for them did i go and bash core duo? no i did'nt so stop with your mindless fanboyism look at prescott it was a peice of crap and you still defended it prescott was too hot and too slow and it got beaten by a proc that was atleast a gigahert slower than it! look at yourself ycon i admitted that conroe is better than k8 cant you admit that prescott was worse then k8 or do you have so much intel brainwashing you cant do that?

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
hehehe,

Just remembered.

Even though the Core Duo / Pentium M has nice battery life, with the cost that an otherwise equal spec Turion 64 (and soon to be Turion 64 X2) goes for, you can buy another battery (recommend a 12-cell).

For an equal dollar the AMD laptops battery life is longer, because you can afford a 2nd battery in the price difference.

Sure it is longer for all the 'wrong reasons', but I actually got a Compaq Presario V2400 recently, and decked it out.... still cost far less than a 'stock' Pentium-M laptop.

If I could replace the CPU with a 25 watt varient (vs 35 watt), could boost battery life in my Turion another 25% to 40%.

The comparions where all '****ed' in the respect that they compared non-equal cost systems, and pitted the 35 watt Turion against the 27 watt Pentium M. Instead of using a 25 watt Turion (MT series vs ML series).

Keep an eye on this page when the Turion 64 X2 launches:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/notebook/
; I think AMD are going to light a fire up Intels arse in the notebook market shortly. (Which explains all the quiet in the AMD desktop area recently, they'll be getting heaps more battery life, and likely suggest to buyers to buy 2 batteries for an equal cost to 'the competition').

Hehehe, originally the only reason I got a Turion 64 mobile platform was for x64 application development (nothing else at the time was offering it). This just sweetens the deal that much more.

(And yes, I was the 1st to acknowledge Conroe is going to kick ass in the Desktop area, and it will still tread on my current PC for a far lower cost..... as one would expect since it is new tech).

TRENDING THREADS