[SOLVED] turn off cpu overclock settings?

Jan 30, 2022
idk if this is really needed for this or not but ill put it here anyways.

cpu: amd ryzen 7 3700x
motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk atx am4
memory: silicon power 16 gb 2 x 8 gb ddr4-3200 cl16
storage: samsung 980 1tb m.2-2280 NVME
gpu: nvidia quadro fx 580
power supply: evga gd 2019 700w 80+ gold certified atx

so i downloaded all my drivers gpu, motherboard, cpu, audio, network, etc but after doing so i found that my cpu is now overclocked witch i don't want bc im using the stock cooler that came with the cpu and i hear that it's not good for overclocking. the cpu is still running at about 58c witch i believe is good but im still worried i might be damaging my computer. i also hear that even if the cpu is cool when overclocking it can damage the vram too??? witch i don't get but i have nothing prove it wrong yet so, what i wanna know is

1 how dangerous is this and will it damage anything if it keeps running like this?
2 i hear it can shorten the life of the cpu, if so any estimates on how much that might be?
3 how do i properly and safely turn off the overclock settings?

Solution
what about it jumping from 3.6 GHz to 4.4 GHz and back again?
that is normal, ryzen CPU spend all day waking a core to do something and then it rushes to idle again.

I find the rise fall is not a fair indication of actual CPU temp, it might show max but only a temporary one. I normally track Core Temperatures as it ignores the one core that is always rising and falling, and shows an average. Also track Average Effective clock for same reason. My CPU idles at 215mhz, no where near 3.6 as why go fast when you not doing anything?

Colif

Win 11 Master
3. curious what is running the overclock, if all you did was install software it shouldn't have one now.
Do you have ryzen master installed?
it might be part of MSI Center - https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/DT_MSI_Utility

If its a software overclock you just need to find program that set it and see if its got a setting for defaults. Alternate is you can uninstall it and reset bios to defaults.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Jan 30, 2022
What makes you think the cpu has been overclocked? Can you run Home - UserBenchmark and post a link to your result please.
well i have the ryzen 7 3700x, witch should normally be running at 3.6 GHz and has a boost clock of 4.4 GHz and im using nzxt to keep watch of my computers speed, temp, load, and everything else. it's telling me that my cpu is running past the normal 3.6 GHz and just under the boost clock of 4.4 GHz. here are my results btw keep in mind that i have a temporary gpu in there to get me by tell i can get a good one. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/50375728

Jan 30, 2022
3. curious what is running the overclock, if all you did was install software it shouldn't have one now.
Do you have ryzen master installed?
it might be part of MSI Center - https://www.msi.com/support/technical_details/DT_MSI_Utility

If its a software overclock you just need to find program that set it and see if its got a setting for defaults. Alternate is you can uninstall it and reset bios to defaults.
i think your right on i got all my drivers from there and the chip set driver did say something about overclocking but i didn't think much about it. i uninstalled it so how would i go about resetting the bios?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: kurdtnz

Colif

Win 11 Master
what about it jumping from 3.6 GHz to 4.4 GHz and back again?
that is normal, ryzen CPU spend all day waking a core to do something and then it rushes to idle again.

I find the rise fall is not a fair indication of actual CPU temp, it might show max but only a temporary one. I normally track Core Temperatures as it ignores the one core that is always rising and falling, and shows an average. Also track Average Effective clock for same reason. My CPU idles at 215mhz, no where near 3.6 as why go fast when you not doing anything?

Solution