[SOLVED] Turn off Real-Time Protection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2021
Hey,

I've been struggling with Windows Security for a month now. I'm trying to disable Windows Defender Real-time protection in a way that it won't turn back on after a while. I've tried disabling it in registry, group policy, I've even created a script that runs on startup and disables real-time protection with a cmd command but it keeps turning back on.
Is there another way to disable it without turning itself back on?

Thanks.

Solution
Again why?

Your original question is recognized but unless there is some specific problem with Windows Security just leave well enough alone.

150-200 MB use of RAM is negligible. Why not add RAM - maybe a 2 x __GB kit for dual channel use.

And although using common sense ("trusting your brain") is a key factor in avoiding malicious code it remains, sooner or later, that something will slip in.

Protection is a must.

There is nothing to be gained and lots to lose. The bad guys are very creative and who knows what may be out there.

What backup software and plan do you use? Before disabling AV be sure that your backups and recovery plans work. Think about that.

Good advice has been offered and my sense is that providing more...

USAFRet

Titan
Hey,

I've been struggling with Windows Security for a month now. I'm trying to disable Windows Defender Real-time protection in a way that it won't turn back on after a while. I've tried disabling it in registry, group policy, I've even created a script that runs on startup and disables real-time protection with a cmd command but it keeps turning back on.
Is there another way to disable it without turning itself back on?

Thanks.
First question - Why?
What problem are you trying to solve?

Jun 1, 2021
First question - Why?
What problem are you trying to solve?
I have a pc which isn't that strong so this Real-Time protection is using too much RAM.

you can install another anti-virus/malware software and it will disable windows security
if you install a third-party antivirus program, Windows Defender will disable itself automatically.
I don't want any antivirus on my pc for the same reason I'm trying to disable Win D (and also I trust my brain not a third-party software :D).

Ralston18

Titan
Again why?

Your original question is recognized but unless there is some specific problem with Windows Security just leave well enough alone.

150-200 MB use of RAM is negligible. Why not add RAM - maybe a 2 x __GB kit for dual channel use.

And although using common sense ("trusting your brain") is a key factor in avoiding malicious code it remains, sooner or later, that something will slip in.

Protection is a must.

There is nothing to be gained and lots to lose. The bad guys are very creative and who knows what may be out there.

What backup software and plan do you use? Before disabling AV be sure that your backups and recovery plans work. Think about that.

Good advice has been offered and my sense is that providing more information about how to permanently delete a security protection is a likely violation of Forum rules.

I really do not know what you may be trying to do....

Closing thread accordingly.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.