Hi John,

If you are trying to copy files form a CD/DVD, chances are that the media is scratched or the CD/DVD was not burnt
properly. This is usually the error message that shows up.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3522D90B-CFA4-4413-B40A-6F83BE3C8CFB@microsoft.com...
> how do i turn off the redundancy check in xp pro. i keep getting redundancy
> check error message and then copy stops

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

yes, but how to turn it off

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> If you are trying to copy files form a CD/DVD, chances are that the media is scratched or the CD/DVD was not burnt
> properly. This is usually the error message that shows up.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3522D90B-CFA4-4413-B40A-6F83BE3C8CFB@microsoft.com...
> > how do i turn off the redundancy check in xp pro. i keep getting redundancy
> > check error message and then copy stops

There is no way to turn it off. Not that i know of.

--

"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15DBF9DE-225E-4707-AB0B-8C8C7E501D92@microsoft.com...
> yes, but how to turn it off
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> If you are trying to copy files form a CD/DVD, chances are that the media is scratched or the CD/DVD was not burnt
>> properly. This is usually the error message that shows up.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3522D90B-CFA4-4413-B40A-6F83BE3C8CFB@microsoft.com...
>> > how do i turn off the redundancy check in xp pro. i keep getting redundancy
>> > check error message and then copy stops

Even if you could turn it off the data would most likely be useless. That
is what the error is telling you.

--
Eric Renken
Microsoft Associate Expert.

"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes, but how to turn it off
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> If you are trying to copy files form a CD/DVD, chances are that the media
>> is scratched or the CD/DVD was not burnt
>> properly. This is usually the error message that shows up.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > how do i turn off the redundancy check in xp pro. i keep getting
>> > redundancy
>> > check error message and then copy stops

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

yes part of that peticular file may or may not be corrupt, or the archive bit
may have changed during the copy, but i am trying to put a 17 rom map program
on the hard drive so i won't have to keep changing disks, and i am backing up
some hard drives but i don't want to use a back up compress program, i just
want to copy all the contents of a drive to a main disk. i get error messages
after about 3 gigs, and then the copy aborts, and it is actually failing on
files that won't hurt all that much even if they are corrupt. it seems a few
years ago someone posted this for one of the original windows operating
systems, i thought they may have found a fix by the time they got to xp pro.
i am sure everyone runs into this same problem sooner or later, error should
give you the option to stop or continue, or continue to copy and just give a
report at the end, real irritating to set up some long term sequence like
defrag, and come back an hour later only to find that some unimportant notice
popped up, and you had to answer, before the process would continue. i think
the programers do some of these things, just for thier own humor.

"Eric Renken" wrote:

> Even if you could turn it off the data would most likely be useless. That
> is what the error is telling you.
>
> --
> Eric Renken
> Microsoft Associate Expert.
> Expert Zone
>

> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes, but how to turn it off
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi John,
> >>
> >> If you are trying to copy files form a CD/DVD, chances are that the media
> >> is scratched or the CD/DVD was not burnt
> >> properly. This is usually the error message that shows up.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Anando
> >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >> http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee
> >>
> >> Folder customizations
> >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
> >>
> >> Protect your PC!
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >>

> >> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

i tried xxcopy but would not stay on dos type screen just flashed on for a
few sconds, but maybe i can use "copy" in a dos screen, i'll try that when i
get back to it.
by the way the last post i did was about 2 seperate but related problems,
ie: redundancy check options and pop up questions that stop or slow down, by
requiring info, or poor timing for questions, that could be asked before you
thought everything was going smothly.

"Eric Renken" wrote:

> Even if you could turn it off the data would most likely be useless. That
> is what the error is telling you.
>
> --
> Eric Renken
> Microsoft Associate Expert.
> Expert Zone
>

> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes, but how to turn it off
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi John,
> >>
> >> If you are trying to copy files form a CD/DVD, chances are that the media
> >> is scratched or the CD/DVD was not burnt
> >> properly. This is usually the error message that shows up.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Anando
> >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >> http://aspnet2.com/mvp.ashx?AnandoChatterjee
> >>
> >> Folder customizations
> >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
> >>
> >> Protect your PC!
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >>

> >> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It's about user interface design. How many options do you want in a dialog. For unusual tasks use xcopy which can (if you tell it too) ignore errors. The file copy functions can actually continue on error if a program tells it too but explorer doen't want to display 50 options to every user for every file copy.

http://www.uscricket.com
"john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEA6029B-2258-4133-A423-6E527988FFB0@microsoft.com...
> yes part of that peticular file may or may not be corrupt, or the archive bit
> may have changed during the copy, but i am trying to put a 17 rom map program
> on the hard drive so i won't have to keep changing disks, and i am backing up
> some hard drives but i don't want to use a back up compress program, i just
> want to copy all the contents of a drive to a main disk. i get error messages
> after about 3 gigs, and then the copy aborts, and it is actually failing on
> files that won't hurt all that much even if they are corrupt. it seems a few
> years ago someone posted this for one of the original windows operating
> systems, i thought they may have found a fix by the time they got to xp pro.
> i am sure everyone runs into this same problem sooner or later, error should
> give you the option to stop or continue, or continue to copy and just give a
> report at the end, real irritating to set up some long term sequence like
> defrag, and come back an hour later only to find that some unimportant notice
> popped up, and you had to answer, before the process would continue. i think
> the programers do some of these things, just for thier own humor.
>
> "Eric Renken" wrote:
>
>> Even if you could turn it off the data would most likely be useless. That
>> is what the error is telling you.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Renken
>> Microsoft Associate Expert.
>> Expert Zone
>>

>> "john" <john@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > yes, but how to turn it off

I don't know about xxcopy or why people feel the need to reproduce versions of XP commands.

Use XCopy and type it in a command prompt to keep the window open.

http://www.uscricket.com