[SOLVED] Turn off router but still have ethernet cable direct to desktop tower?

Jul 23, 2020
Here is what I wish to accomplish: I want my router stone cold dead when not using it, power off and disconnected.
Presently in order to disconnect the router after I power it down I have to disconnect my desktop tower ethernet cable from back of router and stick it back in to the modem 'out' port after disconnecting the routers use of that port.
I want my ethernet cable to my desktop tower upstream from the router so I can turn off the router without interuption of the ethernet cable into the desktop. Is there someway to do this without disconnecting cables manually each time? Thank you.

Jul 23, 2020
Currently you have:
modem -> router -> PC
At times, you would like the router to be OFF, and it be modem -> PC
But without switching cables around.

Correct?

OK, I gotta ask...why?
Hi, Yes that is Correct. modem to PC when router off.
I want the router disconnected because it 1. It's in my bedroom by my desktop monitor on my rolltop desk 6 feet from my bed and inches away while staring at the screen, and I think about the radiation. 2. I could go days at a time before using the router as I am on my tower with ethernet cable direct from modem and the router uses electricity when turned on and I found when I simply reached around and pressed the power button on the router to off the internet signal stopped going up the ethernet cable plugged into the back of the router to my desktop tower. So I have to to some cable swaps and it's cumbersome.
3. I dont like the idea of my internet connection being default broadcast to neighbors in spite of the secured use of password.
I only plan to use the router to watch free movies and documentaries on the internet when I am downstairs in my recliner staring at my 55inch screen while stuffing my face and the odd use of a tablet on the porch to maybe check email. Thank you, CaptainZero

USAFRet

Titan
  1. "radiation" - Turn the WiFI off when not using it.
  2. The 'router' provides significant protection, via the NAT and firewall functionality. Connected directly to the modem, your PC gets that 'public' IP address, and is much more susceptible to attack.
  3. See #1.

Jul 23, 2020
Nope, not that I'm aware of. You could just filter the IP's or devices in your household to not receive internet on their devices by using QoS if your router supports it. What is the make and model of your router?
Thank you Lutij, If you would please, read my clarification to USAFret. so I dont post it twice.

Jul 23, 2020
  1. "radiation" - Turn the WiFI off when not using it.
  2. The 'router' provides significant protection, via the NAT and firewall functionality. Connected directly to the modem, your PC gets that 'public' IP address, and is much more susceptible to attack.
  3. See #1.
Hello Airman, So all I have to do, is turn off the wifi on the router via software command yet still leaving on it's power and have no disruption of internet service to my desktop PC ethernet cabled into the back of the router. I did not know you can do that with a router. Would you have any idea how I would turn off the wifi on my Netgear RangeMax 150 WNR1000 from maybe 2009 I got at a junkshop five years ago for a pittance and only now am hooking up my first ever router? It worked good last night watching about Bermuda on the big flat screen downstairs, no stop motion, I'd call it 600p resolution if such a thing exists.
Also I did not know that using a router provides yet more firewall action to your interface with the world as opposed to having a straight ethernet cable connection modem>PC. I'd be interested to understand more about that.
Thank you for your service to our country, and me too!

Electricity cost is about 3 cents per day.
If you are worried about the security of the WiFi, I would ensure you use an extremely difficult password, that you can remember.
Radiation is not really an issue.

That said, the router as stated previously gives your Ethernet connection additional security.

As stated previously just shutting off the WiFi will resolve your issues.