Turn off shared system memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrato

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Title is not entirely descriptive: I had 8 GB of RAM and a GTX 960 with 3GB. I installed another RAM module of 8 GB of RAM and the game Hitman started to work very smoothly, almost always being at the the cap of 72 fps I set.

Thing is, I formatted the computer, installing Windows 10 with the latest updates, as always. Same drivers, same everything, but this time, Hitman isnt as smooth as before. I tried tweaking all the settings in game and in the nvidia control panel, setting game mode on, high performance on windows... But nothing works.

Then I see that in the graphics card properties says "shared system memory 8 GB", which means its probably taking from the extra RAM I installed that it couldnt before, and I think that this may be causing the slow down.

I have read that people always say to leave it, the system wont use it if its not necessary... The thing is its probably necessary cause the 3GB is not enough, but I dont care if taking that shared memory makes the game slower.

Anybody knows how to turn this feature off? I already turned off the integrated graphics card in the bios.

vibrato

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
I know that it has been discussed before, I have read tons of posts about this and the answers are always the three same:
- Its the BIOS: people mistaking the dedicated graphics card with the integrated one
- Dont worry: I worry cause the shared RAM makes the game slower. Its like a sort of page file, but with RAM. If the card is forced to unload textures to make room, thats ok, but if it sees there are "enough space" and takes shared RAM, it makes it slower.
- Cant do anything about it: thing only changed after I formatted the system, which means that either its Windows or nvidia control panel the ones controling it, so there must be some sort of hidden option.

Next time I format Ill just remove one stick of RAM before formatting, then installing it after everything is installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.