Turn off System Sounds

Is there a simple way to turn off all those sounds that Windows XP generates
, from resuming from hibernation or standby, beeping, chirping, playing
chords that are supposed to tell me I just did something, etc? I found a
list of the system sounds it generates and it seems awfully tedious to have
to go throukgh the ocean of sounds, reset each to none, confirm that yes I
don't want to hear the sound, etc., and then save that arrangement with some
sort of name. But is there a simple way to kill all the souonds? I will be
using my laptop for courtroom work and such noises are an embarassing
distraction. However, I would still like to be able to use what sound there
might be with video clips, PowerPoint animation etc.

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

"Joe McGuire" wrote:

> Is there a simple way to turn off all those sounds that Windows XP generates
> , from resuming from hibernation or standby, beeping, chirping, playing
> chords that are supposed to tell me I just did something, etc? I found a
> list of the system sounds it generates and it seems awfully tedious to have
> to go throukgh the ocean of sounds, reset each to none, confirm that yes I
> don't want to hear the sound, etc., and then save that arrangement with some
> sort of name. But is there a simple way to kill all the souonds? I will be
> using my laptop for courtroom work and such noises are an embarassing
> distraction. However, I would still like to be able to use what sound there
> might be with video clips, PowerPoint animation etc.
>

> Not being a a smart A## but turn the volume down all the way or if there is a speaker icon in the bottom right corner, double click it and mute everything. Otherwise, you need to access the control panel open sounds and select none for each event.

You can stop all event sounds with a few clicks...
In the Control Panel, open Sounds and Audio Devices.
Click the Sounds tab.
Under Sound scheme, click the arrow at the right side of the list box.
Click No Sounds
Click [No] (if prompted to save current scheme)
Click [OK]

Austin M. Horst

It works! It seems I can indeed get rid of all those computer sounds yet
play vidoe/sound clips. And switch back to those sounds when they will not
distract a crowd!