[SOLVED] Turn off the computer for few hours or not?

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

My concern is that I used to turn on my computer during the day to play games for few hours. In the afternoon when I dont use it for example I have other things to do or I take nap:) and I dont use it for couple off hours I turn it off. But like early evening I turn it on again.
My questions are that:
1, Is it okay to keep this habbit, to turn off the computer when it is not in use for few hours or not?
2, Can it be damaged if I turn it off and on regularly almost daily basis? Or just leave it on if I know that I am going to use it still on that day?
3, And is it important that for how long the pc running before turn it off? For example sometimes I use it only for 1,5 hours or two.
Obviously I turn it off for the night.

Here are my specs:
Motherboard: Msi Z490 Unify
Cpu: I7 10700k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Vga: Msi Rtx 2080 Ti GamingX Trio
Ssd: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb M.2
Hdd: 2tb Wd Black
Memory: 2x16gb Hyperx Fury 3200mhz
Psu: Seasonic Focus Plus PX 850w Platinum
Case: BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx

Thanks for Your replies.

Last edited:
Solution
1. Yes it's ok. Turning it off when you don't use it once or twice a day will not damage the system at all. People turn on and off their TV sometime dozens of times a day and the TV doesn't break faster. It's made for this.

2. No.

3. No.

Your system was built to be shutdown and turned on again. Some people will leave it on sleep or not. Some people turn their system off. It's up to you. leaving it on will obviously use more energy but that's it. Me i turn my system on when I wake up and I turn it off when I go to sleep and sometime twice in a day because I leave the house and I turn it off when I do.

Don't worry about that unless you turn it off and on 500 times in a day :)
1. Yes it's ok. Turning it off when you don't use it once or twice a day will not damage the system at all. People turn on and off their TV sometime dozens of times a day and the TV doesn't break faster. It's made for this.

2. No.

3. No.

Your system was built to be shutdown and turned on again. Some people will leave it on sleep or not. Some people turn their system off. It's up to you. leaving it on will obviously use more energy but that's it. Me i turn my system on when I wake up and I turn it off when I go to sleep and sometime twice in a day because I leave the house and I turn it off when I do.

Don't worry about that unless you turn it off and on 500 times in a day :)

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are arguments for and against turning it off at all , but no side is the only correct one.

Mine is off when I am not using it. Normal day its on until i go to sleep or if there is a storm, then I unplug it or if it gets too hot to use a PC in my room (that hasn't happened yet this year). Prefer to waste time while storm around than waste time after a storm potentially replacing parts
Turning it off at night stops windows update running while you asleep. Some might see this as a bad thing but I prefer to know it worked by watching it run.

Reactions: Selynelar

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Thank You for your answers. I was just worry about the power surge every time I turn on the pc. My concern was about the lifetime of the components. If I can damage or not. In this case if I keep running the pc when not in use it also shorten the lifetime of the components maybe with more possibility than if I turn it off. For example the fans has also running hours in specifications. But as I mentioned I turn on the pc maximum 2times a day.

Thanks again for both of You.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if restarting PC, which turns power on/off if only briefly, broke components on a regular basis, people would be lining up to sue Microsoft. But well, they aren't so have to assume turning them off for longer than a few seconds will also not hurt them.

Sleep/hibernate/fast start up there for the users benefit, not for the hardware.

the power used at boot compared to that used over many hours is going to even out to point either could be cause of any problems.