Question Turn on turn off pc remotely Hardware device

May 26, 2019
Hello guys

Is there a hardware device that i can install on my computer. That will enable me to turn off>Turn On my computer remotely easily ?

I tend to travel abroad , and i had an issue where there was an electric power cut and my pc power was cut off and there was no way to physically access it and i could not connect to it remotely with teamviewer.

I am trying to find a solution so that when i travel, i can easily turn on my computer if there is a power cut.

May 26, 2019
The BIOS may have an option to automatically reboot after power loss. That is the first thing to investigate.
Thank you for the fast reponse Kanewolf ,I have a z170A gaming pro, checked it is enabled in Bios. What i want to know , is this fail proof?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the fast reponse Kanewolf ,I have a z170A gaming pro, checked it is enabled in Bios. What i want to know , is this fail proof?
Nothing is "Fail proof". If you are overseas, then you need a "plan B" where a friend has access to restore/reboot if necessary.
A high quality UPS, with USB signaling would also be a recommendation. That will ensure that the PC shutsdown cleanly if the power outage is extended and will remain up if the power outage is transient.

Reactions: mu2k
May 26, 2019
Nothing is "Fail proof". If you are overseas, then you need a "plan B" where a friend has access to restore/reboot if necessary.
A high quality UPS, with USB signaling would also be a recommendation. That will ensure that the PC shutsdown cleanly if the power outage is extended and will remain up if the power outage is transient.
UPS seem a good idea .
How about IP Power Remote Power Switch? Though from what i gather it will rely on my existing internet connection so if the internet fails i assume i wont be able to use it?

USAFRet

Titan
Also, are you needing to access the PC and its applications/resources, or access your specific data?
Theres a difference.

If your data, any of the cloud services do not care about the power situation at your house.

May 26, 2019
Also, are you needing to access the PC and its applications/resources, or access your specific data?
Theres a difference.

If your data, any of the cloud services do not care about the power situation at your house.
I trade in Forex. So i connect remotely on my pc to view my trades and also take some trades. Everything is set up on that PC including my Forex apps.
Last time i travelled to ASIA there was a power-cut and PC got turned off costing me a loss of a lot of money because i couldn't access my PC and Forex windows applications.
It really opened my eyes that i need a solution since i am leaving Europe in 1 month and will be away in Asia for 2 month.

USAFRet

Titan
I trade in Forex. So i connect remotely on my pc to view my trades and also take some trades. Everything is set up on that PC including my Forex apps.
Last time i travelled to ASIA there was a power-cut and PC got turned off costing me a loss of a lot of money because i couldn't access my PC and Forex windows applications.
It really opened my eyes that i need a solution since i am leaving Europe in 1 month and will be away in Asia for 2 month.
In that case, I would consider replicating that functionlity on a laptop youtake with you.

May 26, 2019
In that case, I would consider replicating that functionlity on a laptop youtake with you.
Where i am going internet is slow which is not good for my applications or trading= high latency. I forgot to add i also experienced on rare occasion a weird crash once which requires a hard reboot.

For plan B i need a way to force-reboot my pc in the event of a crash and the pc is stuck on the crash screen ,taking into account there is no internet connection at that specific time.

USAFRet

Titan
Where i am going internet is slow which is not good for my applications or trading= high latency. I forgot to add i also experienced on rare occasion a weird crash once which requires a hard reboot.

For plan B i need a way to force-reboot my pc in the event of a crash and the pc is stuck on the crash screen ,taking into account there is no internet connection at that specific time.
No internet connection and requiring a hard reboot requires a physical finger.

May 26, 2019
No internet connection and requiring a hard reboot requires a physical finger.
Hi USAFRet ,I was thinking of some type of hardware with a sim card for data connected to the computer and i could send an sms and then it would hard reboot the PC

AllanGH

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
This type of functionality can be obtained through many of the expansion hardware options available for the Arduino and Raspberry Pi platforms; but it also means that you will have to design and program for your specific scenario, or be willing to pay a non-trivial sum for the custom work.

I know of no "canned" solution for your particular situation.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS