Question Turn on turn off pc remotely Hardware device

mu2k

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Hello guys

Is there a hardware device that i can install on my computer. That will enable me to turn off>Turn On my computer remotely easily ?

I tend to travel abroad , and i had an issue where there was an electric power cut and my pc power was cut off and there was no way to physically access it and i could not connect to it remotely with teamviewer.

I am trying to find a solution so that when i travel, i can easily turn on my computer if there is a power cut.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the fast reponse Kanewolf ,I have a z170A gaming pro, checked it is enabled in Bios. What i want to know , is this fail proof?
Nothing is "Fail proof". If you are overseas, then you need a "plan B" where a friend has access to restore/reboot if necessary.
A high quality UPS, with USB signaling would also be a recommendation. That will ensure that the PC shutsdown cleanly if the power outage is extended and will remain up if the power outage is transient.

Reactions: mu2k

mu2k

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Nothing is "Fail proof". If you are overseas, then you need a "plan B" where a friend has access to restore/reboot if necessary.
A high quality UPS, with USB signaling would also be a recommendation. That will ensure that the PC shutsdown cleanly if the power outage is extended and will remain up if the power outage is transient.
UPS seem a good idea .
How about IP Power Remote Power Switch? Though from what i gather it will rely on my existing internet connection so if the internet fails i assume i wont be able to use it?

mu2k

Commendable
May 26, 2019
Also, are you needing to access the PC and its applications/resources, or access your specific data?
Theres a difference.

If your data, any of the cloud services do not care about the power situation at your house.
I trade in Forex. So i connect remotely on my pc to view my trades and also take some trades. Everything is set up on that PC including my Forex apps.
Last time i travelled to ASIA there was a power-cut and PC got turned off costing me a loss of a lot of money because i couldn't access my PC and Forex windows applications.
It really opened my eyes that i need a solution since i am leaving Europe in 1 month and will be away in Asia for 2 month.

USAFRet

Titan
I trade in Forex. So i connect remotely on my pc to view my trades and also take some trades. Everything is set up on that PC including my Forex apps.
Last time i travelled to ASIA there was a power-cut and PC got turned off costing me a loss of a lot of money because i couldn't access my PC and Forex windows applications.
It really opened my eyes that i need a solution since i am leaving Europe in 1 month and will be away in Asia for 2 month.
In that case, I would consider replicating that functionlity on a laptop youtake with you.

mu2k

Commendable
May 26, 2019
In that case, I would consider replicating that functionlity on a laptop youtake with you.
Where i am going internet is slow which is not good for my applications or trading= high latency. I forgot to add i also experienced on rare occasion a weird crash once which requires a hard reboot.

For plan B i need a way to force-reboot my pc in the event of a crash and the pc is stuck on the crash screen ,taking into account there is no internet connection at that specific time.

USAFRet

Titan
Where i am going internet is slow which is not good for my applications or trading= high latency. I forgot to add i also experienced on rare occasion a weird crash once which requires a hard reboot.

For plan B i need a way to force-reboot my pc in the event of a crash and the pc is stuck on the crash screen ,taking into account there is no internet connection at that specific time.
No internet connection and requiring a hard reboot requires a physical finger.

This type of functionality can be obtained through many of the expansion hardware options available for the Arduino and Raspberry Pi platforms; but it also means that you will have to design and program for your specific scenario, or be willing to pay a non-trivial sum for the custom work.

I know of no "canned" solution for your particular situation.