Question Turn server motherboard into desktop motherboard?

CryingLegend

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
I just bought an HP Proliant ML150 G6 server motherboard and just bought two CPU's to pair it. Unfortunately I just found some videos of the original HP proliant server, and the fans seems to be ramped up all the time. Booting the server also takes quite a while. I was wondering if it's possible to make the motherboard act like a "normal" desktop computer. Booting it into Windows 10 without the long boot time and having the fans behave like a normal computer fan instead of being at 100% so often. Is it possible to flash the motherboard with new bios or somehow change it from acting like a server to a regular desktop?

Thanks in advance!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. The long boot times is an extended POST that really checks everything on the system, including a full memory test.

As for the fan speeds, most servers don't need to have fan curves as they are deployed in a data center where noise is not a concern. You may be able to deal with this once you get into Windows, but during boot, you are likely to get full speed.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
I just bought an HP Proliant ML150 G6 server motherboard and just bought two CPU's to pair it. Unfortunately I just found some videos of the original HP proliant server, and the fans seems to be ramped up all the time. Booting the server also takes quite a while. I was wondering if it's possible to make the motherboard act like a "normal" desktop computer. Booting it into Windows 10 without the long boot time and having the fans behave like a normal computer fan instead of being at 100% so often. Is it possible to flash the motherboard with new bios or somehow change it from acting like a server to a regular desktop?

Thanks in advance!
Well, yes you could run windows on it.... But as @Eximo said, if you ears can handle the screaming of the fans then yeah...

CryingLegend

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Not really. The long boot times is an extended POST that really checks everything on the system, including a full memory test.

As for the fan speeds, most servers don't need to have fan curves as they are deployed in a data center where noise is not a concern. You may be able to deal with this once you get into Windows, but during boot, you are likely to get full speed.
Is it possible to skip the POST part?