Question Turned off Windows 10 while searching for drivers

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Hey guys, so I just installed Windows 10 on my new PC so I got it booted up and saw the notification thingy like saying "Finding Drivers" so I just ignored it and turned off my computer (idiot move since I was sleepy already and wanted to just turn off my computer) now today I tried booting it up but the mouse doesn't work like the cursor isn't there, how can I fix this? I am a currently using the keyboard to do some updates on the operating system, please help me because I was an idiot.

EDIT: also when I plug the USB of the mouse it justs say "Unknown USB device" or "USB not Recognizred"

Colif

Win 11 Master
installing windows when you sleepy isn't always a good idea. I have a rule, i don't install anything after 2am so I am not up all night fixing it afterwards.

What type of mouse is it? Does it have its own driver software?

if its only a new install, just do a reset and start again
from login screen
use tab and enter to open the power menu
while holding left shift, highlight the reset button and hit enter

PC should restart into advanced start up - mouse might work in here
use tab and choose troubleshoot
use tab to choose reset this PC
follow steps, full reset is likely best only as it deletes everything. Shouldn't take long on a clean PC.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
installing windows when you sleepy isn't always a good idea. I have a rule, i don't install anything after 2am so I am not up all night fixing it afterwards.

What type of mouse is it? Does it have its own driver software?

if its only a new install, just do a reset and start again
from login screen
use tab and enter to open the power menu
while holding left shift, highlight the reset button and hit enter

PC should restart into advanced start up
use tab and choose troubleshoot
use tab to choose reset this PC
follow steps, full reset is likely best only as it deletes everything. Shouldn't take long on a clean PC.
Yes it does have its own Driver Software but I can't click the Download button at all, I don't mind resetting it but I already updated the OS today and it took quite some time like 4 hours? Although if that's the best choice then I'll do it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
NP, it saves you time. Better than win 7 where updates didn't make the version any newer and you would always have to start from the beginning to install. And waste several days to update it.

You should download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, everytime you clean install, so you have newest version and updates only take an hour at most afterwards.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
But I also noticed that the mouse isn't even working at BIOS also when I first booted it up, is this normal? Like no OS installed I just straight up booted into BIOS.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
It's a Fantech X9 Thor, you probably haven't heard of it since it's only mostly common in some countries in the South East Asia where Fantech is. Also about the other mouse, I tested an old mouse of mine and it still says USB is not Recognized or Unknown USB Device.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i guess if you were in middle of a driver install when you turned PC off, it likely did corrupt them.

Any idea of the Thor X9 stores its drivers on mouse? Site doesn't tell me: http://www.fantech.id/products/mice/10/94
thought it might be possible PC was flashing new drivers to mouse when you turned it off... my mouse has its drivers onboard and last time I tried to flash its firmware it messed up and bricked the mouse... lucky makers sent me a file I could use to set mouse back to basics again. reminds me I should try that again, sort of wary after last time.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
i guess if you were in middle of a driver install when you turned PC off, it likely did corrupt them.

Any idea of the Thor X9 stores its drivers on mouse? Site doesn't tell me: http://www.fantech.id/products/mice/10/94
thought it might be possible PC was flashing new drivers to mouse when you turned it off... my mouse has its drivers onboard and last time I tried to flash its firmware it messed up and bricked the mouse... lucky makers sent me a file I could use to set mouse back to basics again. reminds me I should try that again, sort of wary after last time.
Here is the driver of the mouse:

Some scrolling and you can see the drivers of the X9 Thor, also what do you mean by the files?

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
You could contact Fantek and ask them, it could be there is a way to reset mouse.

does it do same thing for both mice? something funny going on if it does?
Not really, the other mouse will light up for 1-2 seconds then the sensor will turn off but the X9's sensor wouldn't turn off even if it says "Unknown USB device"

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't get how a driver update can break the mouse working in bios as well. it doesn't use windows drivers at that stage.

yet both mice don't work, tried different USB slots?

What are specs of the PC? I should have asked by now.

need to test if those mouse work on other PC before you go any further really. Need a known working mouse.

hate wasting your time but think maybe a clean install is next step. the drivers used by installer should recognise the mouse. Just need to set up bios to boot off USB.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I don't get how a driver update can break the mouse working in bios as well. it doesn't use windows drivers at that stage.

yet both mice don't work, tried different USB slots?

What are specs of the PC? I should have asked by now.

need to test if those mouse work on other PC before you go any further really. Need a known working mouse.

hate wasting your time but think maybe a clean install is next step. the drivers used by installer should recognise the mouse. Just need to set up bios to boot off USB.
X9 Thor didn't work even at the BIOS, I also tried different USB Slots, still the same problem, here are the specs of my PC:

-Ryzen 3 2200g
-Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4gb
-1x8gb 2400mhz DDR4 RAM
-ASUS Prime A320M-K

Also don't worry, you're not wasting my time infact I think I am the one wasting your time, I'm just desperate for it to work, my friend told me he'll let me borrow his ASUS Mouse so I'll see about that if Cleaning the Drive still doesn't work, I'll also message Fantech about this.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I also found out that the mouse kinda lights up when I softly "drop" it, idk what's causing this tbh, if you want a vid of it I can send you but idk how tbh.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can get around bios using keyboard and tab key anyway, you could reset it to defaults and see if windows has changed any USB settings.

Use friends mouse and see if windows doesn't recognise it and/or if it works in BIOS

this was for windows 7 using same motherboard - though his mouse worked in bios, just not windows.

I got it to work, I disabled legacy usb support in the bios?????? Don't know why that would do anything, but now my usb ports work. Thanks for trying to help me.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-refuses-to-work-on-ryzen.3064668/

which bios version have you got on motherboard as there is a long list of them here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_BIOS/ though none specifically mention USB support improvements.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
You can get around bios using keyboard and tab key anyway, you could reset it to defaults and see if windows has changed any USB settings.

Use friends mouse and see if windows doesn't recognise it and/or if it works in BIOS

this was for windows 7 using same motherboard - though his mouse worked in bios, just not windows.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/mouse-refuses-to-work-on-ryzen.3064668/

which bios version have you got on motherboard as there is a long list of them here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_BIOS/ though none specifically mention USB support improvements.
I'll try those things you sent me but I am currently resetting my pc, will be updating tomorrow, thanks a lot :)