turning a internal disk drive to external

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
i have external hdd enclosure but now i bought an nzxt case that don't have dvd disk drive bays so i took the screws of the hdd enclosure and connected it to the dvd disk drive would it work as an external like this?

I can't really understand what you're asking.

BUT!

A hard drive is a hard drive. There is no difference between an external hard drive and an internal hard drive.

An external hard drive is an internal hard drive with an enclosure, that is all.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

man i'm trying to use an hdd enclosure on a dvd drive

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

wow man there is something called hdd enclosure to turn internal hdd to external one , i'm trying to use this on a dvd drive

USAFRet

Titan

How do you plan to deliver power to the DVD drive?

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

lol by the same way i deliver it to the hdd by an adapter but maybe need different wattage

Holy crap, your post went so far over my head haha.

Yes, the guts of a HDD enclosure should be totally fine with being used on a DVD drive. That SATA interface doesn't care at all.

It also sounds like you have an additional power source with your enclosure, which is good - you'll need it. Some enclosures just run off USB power but that won't be enough to spin up a DVD.

I've tried to find like a ready made solution for some external 5.25" drives, but havn't found anything. I basically just open up my case, plug it in with the panel off, and use it ghetto like that until i'm done.

Hmm, does it work if you just use the PSU and SATA plug directly? Skipping the power adapter and USB conversion all together?

I know that isn't what you want to do, but it might tell us if the drive is working properly and has drivers and all that jazz.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

lol man yeah i've been using it like this for 3 month and i hate to open the back plate to plug it in the pc sometime i don't play games cause i really hate to go in this mess so now i remembered i have an external hdd enclosure and it has the same sata and power connector so i though about giving it a try

12v 2A ... That is 24 watts. Should be enough to power a DVD drive...

Then again was it a 2.5" drive enclosure? Those use 5v not 12v, so the drive may not be working because of that... The optical drive wants 12v though and 2 amps should be enough.

If it were a blue ray I'd be worried as they take upwards of 30w.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

it's not 2.5 it's 3.5 and no it's not blueray maybe i need to restart the pc for it to work so it go through the bios?