Question Turning a laptop to desktop

RedBody YT

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
My laptops screen is completely dead now. Hp pavilion g6 model with i5 2520m, radeon 7870m dgpu, 4gb ram. Laptop chasis is broken inside near the screw area hence 2 screws came out of place and can't be screwed in. Battery dead too. Internal keyboard malfunctions. I want turn it into a desktop and I'll need all your help and opinion. I plan to put a desktop grade cooler for the cpu cooling. It will keep it silent and due to its better cooling support, cpu will have sustained boost. I want to add a desktop gpu via gpu dock such as exp gdc beast 8.0 via mini pcie x4. The power button isn't attached with keyboard and hence it can be used to power on the machine. I've 2 main questions. First, since I'll need a Psu for the dock, can I use the psu's power supply to power both the dock and the laptop mobo replacing the AC adapter cable cause I don't want two different power cable going inside to power it up. Second, since it's a laptop, windows will detect it as such and it will show better not connected but powered on via AC, is there any way to make windows recognise it as normal pc and not laptop? This will also make battery icon disappear from system tray. If anybody have any other suggestions or any other opinion, do let me know

RedBody YT

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I think I failed to explain.. When windows thinks it's a mobile device, it activates various battery saving features which are not enabled in desktop in anyway whatsoever.. So, my question was how to make windows recognise it as desktop.. Anyway, this is totally minor thing.. My main question is regarding the exp dgp eGpu dock.. which gpu would be good for 2520m for the moment.. Although I plan to upgrade it to let's say i7 3612qm or 3632qm since they are both 35w and the chipset of the mobo HM76 supports it with an bios update. Upgrading to those will give me 4 cores reducing bottlenecks and Ivy bridge has pcie 3.0 vs 2.0 of 2520m which will further reduce the bottleneck

All power options can be changed in the Windows power settings. They may not exactly match what a desktop would default to, but there's nothing limiting you from changing the settings to match accordingly. Simply changing the power plan to "high performance" will probably do everything you need.

g-unit1111

Titan
I think I failed to explain.. When windows thinks it's a mobile device, it activates various battery saving features which are not enabled in desktop in anyway whatsoever.. So, my question was how to make windows recognise it as desktop.. Anyway, this is totally minor thing.. My main question is regarding the exp dgp eGpu dock.. which gpu would be good for 2520m for the moment.. Although I plan to upgrade it to let's say i7 3612qm or 3632qm since they are both 35w and the chipset of the mobo HM76 supports it with an bios update. Upgrading to those will give me 4 cores reducing bottlenecks and Ivy bridge has pcie 3.0 vs 2.0 of 2520m which will further reduce the bottleneck

That cannot be done, by definition. As was stated, if Windows thinks your device has a battery, then it will be in laptop mode because of the nature of the device. It's one of those things where it might be best to just let it go at this point. I understand wanting to save money but you're probably better off just salvaging the hard drive, throwing it in an enclosure and then buying a whole new laptop. What you want to do simply cannot be done.

RedBody YT

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
All power options can be changed in the Windows power settings. They may not exactly match what a desktop would default to, but there's nothing limiting you from changing the settings to match accordingly. Simply changing the power plan to "high performance" will probably do everything you need.
The high performance one is actually missing in windows 10.. I've manually set performance to max wherever I could in the only balanced option.. Thanks again for taking the time out to reply

RedBody YT

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
That cannot be done, by definition. As was stated, if Windows thinks your device has a battery, then it will be in laptop mode because of the nature of the device. It's one of those things where it might be best to just let it go at this point. I understand wanting to save money but you're probably better off just salvaging the hard drive, throwing it in an enclosure and then buying a whole new laptop. What you want to do simply cannot be done.
It's more about turning something nostalgic into something really cool.. Anyway, I'll do everything I can and see what it achieves

RedBody YT

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
What dock?
My HP dock powers my laptop also. Only the dock get's power.
Since, you missed the op.. In my case, I'm taking the mobo out of the laptop case. I want to use the PSU to power both the Laptop mobo and the dock. So, is it possible to modify the adapter cable to take power from the PSU instead of the wall outlet? In this way only connecting the PSU cable to the Wall outlet will power both the laptop mobo and the dock