Question Turning an extra Netgear router into a wireless access point and VPN ?

mcf57

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I currently have a R8000 Netgear Nighthawk wireless router hooked up to my Xfinity modem. I then have several network switches throughout the house with hard wired equipment attached (PS5, Xbox, FireTV, laptops, MAC, Windows desktops, etc). All works good.

I recently was given a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router from a family member. Initially, I have reconfigured it as an "access point". Its WAN port is then connected to a hardwired 8 port switch in the basement. It then provides 4 more LAN ports as well as another wireless connection used for a better connections in the basement. Again, all is working good.

Is there possibly a way install my paid VPN service (IP Vannish) into this newly obtain R7000 router? For now, the "VPN service" settings are greyed out in the advanced settings. I am assuming this is because I changed it to an access point.

I am trying to make it so any device connected to this R7000 (LAN ports and/or wireless) would appear to be in another state and/or country via my IPVannish service. Everything else on the network would be connected as normal.

Is this possible? If so, any recommendations or websites showing how to configure the R7000 with my IPVannish account?

You need to run it as a router then anything you connect to the r7000 could use the vpn.

The router supports openvpn but you likely need to see if ipvannish has instructions on how to setup a router as a vpn. Some only work with their client software you must install on the end machine. If they don't many other vpn services do support routers.

Note it will likely be rather slow. A router cpu is extremely tiny compared to a computer and most do not contain the instructions to do encryption in hardware. You likely will only get 20-30mbps through many routers.

Reactions: mike_abc

TRENDING THREADS