Turning down Adaptive Voltage to match Manual voltage?

brunor

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
I've found a stable overclock on my i7 6700K; 4.8 GHz @ 1.360 V (manual). Not 100% sure how stable it will be in every application yet, only tested it with RealBench.

Either way, I changed it to Adaptive Mode with the same voltage (1.355 V + 0.005 V offset), and ran RealBench stress test again to measure temps. They were relatively similar, however the VID reading on HWMonitor hit an upper limit of 1.390 V. In manual mode, that limit was 1.348 V, which is less than my set value.

I know the VID reading is not 100% accurate, but assuming the accuracy of 1.390 V and 1.348 V is the same, should I add an offset of 1.390 - 1.348 V = 0.042 V to the 1.360 Adaptive Mode set value? That is, 1.360 - 0.042 V = 1.318 V, or is my understanding of Adaptive Voltage wrong? What confuses me even more is the fact that when using Windows Balanced Mode in power settings, my voltages and clock speeds lower and increase depending on load even though I have manual mode on, which I thought set a constant voltage. I don't really see the benefit in my situation of using Adaptive Mode. I know that Adaptive Mode adds the offset only when the CPU is in turbo mode, but it exceeds my set voltage by a lot according to VID readings and I don't really want it going that high.

So, the questions are:

Should I lower my set Adaptive Voltage to match my VID readings, or just leave it as it is?
Is it worth using Adaptive Mode or should I just stick with Manual?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Update: Just as I posted this, my upper VID reading changed to 1.348 V.
Update 2: My temperatures in the stress test measured 70 C max.

TRENDING THREADS