[SOLVED] Turning my computer on trips the house circuit

Sep 5, 2021
I built this system myself May 2020 and everything has ran smoothly until today. I turned my computer on and went down stairs. I heard a loud noise from upstairs, went upstairs and had no idea what it was so I just went on with my day. Later on in the afternoon all the sockets upstairs went out. I always unplug my pc when switching the breaker back on when. I gave power back to the pc it made a loud crack and tripped the circuit again. My gpu has an led on it, which did light up but if I try to boot up it just trips and the psu makes a crack noise. I assume my psu is done I'm just suprised it trips circuit. I'm from the UK the house id fairly old but we only got a new circuit board fitted last year and the electrics tested as well.

I've seen corsair have a pretty good warranty on the gold psu's so I'm planning on using that, just wanted to see if anyone had experianced something similar with the circuit tripping as its worrying me a bit. I also realised the loud noise I heard in the morning was something on my computer I would have thought if this was the PSU it would have went off then could anyone explain what that might have been.

My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 DUAL MINI 8GB
PSU: Corsair CP-9020133-UK TX550M 550 W 80+ Gold
16gb ram
1 m.2 ssd
1 ssd
1 hdd

Cheers

Solution
The circuit is tripping because of a short in the PC. Or somewhere else that allows current to flow back to ground/earth via the PC.

However, as I understand your description the problem is likely inside the PC. Especially where the circuit only trips when the PC is turned on.

AKA "I gave power back to the pc". Do you do so via the PC's normal Power On switch? If not, how is the PC being turned on?

Every time you reset the breaker you again run a surge of electricity thorough the PC and possibly other devices on that same circuit.

Power down/unplug the PC and all attached components: from both power and each other.

Open the PC case and look signs of damage: melting, bare conductor showing, signs of burning, blackened...

Ralston18

Titan
The circuit is tripping because of a short in the PC. Or somewhere else that allows current to flow back to ground/earth via the PC.

However, as I understand your description the problem is likely inside the PC. Especially where the circuit only trips when the PC is turned on.

AKA "I gave power back to the pc". Do you do so via the PC's normal Power On switch? If not, how is the PC being turned on?

Every time you reset the breaker you again run a surge of electricity thorough the PC and possibly other devices on that same circuit.

Power down/unplug the PC and all attached components: from both power and each other.

Open the PC case and look signs of damage: melting, bare conductor showing, signs of burning, blackened or browned components, dark streaks, swollen components, etc..

Odors of any sort.

Inspect all other devices - most are probably not openable and should not be opened anyway. Check as best you can for damage.

Include power strips, surge protectors, adapters, and just look at the outlets.

You may need to have the electricians come back to check the circuits.

Reactions: balw3
Solution
Sep 5, 2021
Thanks for the reply @Ralston18 Ill give the computer a tear down when I get some spare time I took the cover off the case for a quick inspection and cannot see any sign of damage to components. I tripped when I pressed the power button then another attempt it just tripped right as I flicked the switch on the socket. I do agree it is something inside the computer, my surge protector extension lead is still working and the green light is on to say it is still working correctly. Maybe wire has become loose in the back of the case or something Ill post an update when I get a chance thanks again.

Ralston18

Titan
Be cautious about that green light - that light/LED may only indicate the presence of power and not necessarily that all is "working correctly".

Check the surge protector's documentation to be sure. Remember that surge protectors can only absorb up to some certain amount of excess energy on a cumulative basis.

After that the surge protector may not be providing any protection at all....