[SOLVED] Turning off main switch?

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
I'm shortly replacing my busted (but still working) PSU with a new Seasonic Focus GX-650...During some conversations i was told that is best i turn off/unplug my PC after shutting it down...Now, I don't have a main switch where my PC is plugged in and just plugging/unplugging it after every shutdown seems silly to me, so my question is: Is ok if I just turn off the switch behind the PSU? I'm currently doing it with my old PSU because emits some annoying whizzing sound while PC is off but the PSU is switched on...

Solution
There is no need to switch off the pc at the wall or on the psu. I’d go as far as to say that unplugging it is not a good idea. When plugged in the pc is grounded and far better able to dissipate any static discharges.

I have worked in offices with 100’s of PC’s that are never turned off using a physical switch.
Dec 19, 2020
I was switching off my PSU every time before sleep cause my motherboard had annoying RGB led. I was doing that for around 3 months and my pc is still in great condition so if you shut it down properly I don't you'll see any problem.

There is no need to switch off the pc at the wall or on the psu. I’d go as far as to say that unplugging it is not a good idea. When plugged in the pc is grounded and far better able to dissipate any static discharges.

I have worked in offices with 100’s of PC’s that are never turned off using a physical switch.

Solution

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020
I would call Seasonic or the retailer and see if they will replace it due to the coil whine - most high-end units should honor that as a valid RMA reason
The Seasonic is the replacement...My currrent PSU is a Coolermsater 750 that shuts off everytime i play a ''heavy'' game like CoD MW or Cyberpunk...

Angel Keidran

Prominent
Jul 28, 2020

Well, good to know...In one of my latest posts where i was asking tips for a new PSU, some told me this thing...Since I don't want a reply of my current PSU's problem, i thought ''I better ask this to be sure...'' Thanks a lot for teh ansewrs tho ;)