Turning on and then turns off

Aug 22, 2018
Hello,
So around 8 months ago I turned on my computer (desktop) then after few minutes it shut down randomly like someone clicked on shut down and It did shut down. After that I tried to turn it on it does not react nothing happens. Few hours later when I was sleeping the conputer woke me up at night becauce it restarted non-stop. My fan Is very loud and that is why I woke up. So I turned off cable. The next day I tried to turn it on and it turned on worked for few hours then same happened again sometimes it does turns off after few minutes. So now after 8 months of struggle it does not turn on at all. When I put the cable on fans spins for one second then lights load up for one second and turns off and this is happening for like 2 days straight. Sometimes after two days it started working again but now seems he is not going to turn on.
My computer is really old around 2007 bought.

Intel core 2 duo 2gb ram
512 mb chipset family g35 video card

At first I thought it was a virus I don't know need some help....

Solution
What is "a lot of stuff"?

Did you clean the system? Re-apply thermal paste?.....

Still believe the problem is hardware related but if a second working PSU does not resolve the problem then the motherboard could be the reason.

Any signs of overheating? Paste oozing out somewhere?
Aug 22, 2018
Mhm I don't know I might get one for test not sure but not today and probably not tomorrow. I was thinking about PSU. But like why does it sometimes recovers and works - boots like there was nothing happened. I mean like maybe I can fix it somehow then?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

yeah, NO. I do not suggest trying to fix a PSU
if the capacitors in the PSU are breaking down, which they are want to do after many years, the charges they supply will be weird, not enough, too much, just wrong.

Ralston18

Titan
PSUs are not really made to be repairable although some folks are able to do as they have the prerequisite knowledge and skills.

You may be able to do some testing if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it.

Or have a family member or friend who can do so and help you with the testing.

E.g.:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Try another PSU for testing as suggested - that is the most straightforward and safest way to proceed.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Aug 22, 2018
Hello there I tried other computer PSU didn't worked same result.I take off cable then turn on again 4 seconds launch turns off no reaction at all.
Tried changing battery a lot of stuff.

Ralston18

Titan
What is "a lot of stuff"?

Did you clean the system? Re-apply thermal paste?.....

Still believe the problem is hardware related but if a second working PSU does not resolve the problem then the motherboard could be the reason.

Any signs of overheating? Paste oozing out somewhere?

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Open up the case. Get a bright flashlight and magnifying glass.

Check everything. Ensure all wires are correctly connected and fully in place. Check for other loose connections, loose components, signs of damage. Signs of electrical sparking (burnt, black, brown). Reseat all cards, chips, jumpers, memory modules.

Take your time and be thorough.

Look for bent pins, bare wire showing through insulation. Motherboard touching the case - metal to metal....