[SOLVED] Turning on laptop ruining wifi connection

Mar 20, 2020
My wife has a 4 year old P55K v4 Gigabyte gaming laptop that has been ruining our internet connection for the past couple of months.

If i'm browsing on my machine, and she turns her laptop on then everything instantly starts taking minutes to load, even before she logs in. On her machine she is constantly disconnected from the WiFi and also has the same lagging issues when she is connected.

We've tried all we can think of:

Scanning for viruses with Malwarebytes.
Clearing internet caches.
Updating windows.
Removing the network driver and reinstalling it.
Restarting the router does nothing.

Is the network chip (Intel N-7265) just broken? Why would it cause the entire WiFi connection to fail for other devices too though?

Solution
One way you can test this is to turn off or remove the wifi on the laptop. Most laptops have a switch or key combination to shut off the wifi. If turning off the wifi doesn't work, then there is likely a problem that is causing the wifi to broadcast when it shouldn't be, it'll need to be replaced. You can verify that by removing the wifi card, that should solve the problem.

If you get a replacement and you still have problems then you might have a driver or software problem. I think that's unlikely as the wifi card's firmware should prevent it from breaking the wifi rules and causing the havoc you are seeing.
Mar 11, 2020
access points allocate more bandwidth to wifi users than people who connect with a cable maybe fiddle with your access point settings to see if you can set the speed of your own for each computer / iphone

Mar 20, 2020
access points allocate more bandwidth to wifi users than people who connect with a cable maybe fiddle with your access point settings to see if you can set the speed of your own for each computer / iphone

I can't seem to set specific bandwidth limits to devices through my router, but I can see that both laptops are already set to the same limit.

One way you can test this is to turn off or remove the wifi on the laptop. Most laptops have a switch or key combination to shut off the wifi. If turning off the wifi doesn't work, then there is likely a problem that is causing the wifi to broadcast when it shouldn't be, it'll need to be replaced. You can verify that by removing the wifi card, that should solve the problem.

If you get a replacement and you still have problems then you might have a driver or software problem. I think that's unlikely as the wifi card's firmware should prevent it from breaking the wifi rules and causing the havoc you are seeing.

Solution
Mar 20, 2020

Turning off the wifi on the laptop instantly makes the lag stop.

I've found a replacement chip on amazon and will try switching the old one out.