[SOLVED] Turning on PSU causes system to boot (F-panel connector removed)

Jun 13, 2019
Hi!

Just finished putting the hardware together on a new build.
PSU: EVGA G3 850W,
CASE: NZXT h700,
MOBO: Asus rog strix z390-F

I wanted to try to see if it would boot up,
but after flipping the switch on the PSU it already started booting.
After that i removed the F-panel connector, and it still booted up.
Any ideas what could be happening here?
What tests could i do to isolate this issue?

Jun 13, 2019
Check the power/boot settings in the BIOS. It may be set to boot automatically when connected to power or after a power failure.

Okay sorry,
i failed to mention that my monitor doesn't turn on, so i can't access my BIOS.
After doing some digging around it seems that it's some sort of hardware failure.
Most likely the MOBO, but it could also be memory (G.skill RGB, and the RGBs don't light up, every other hardware that has lights does) and less likely is that the PSU is at fault.
So first i'll check if the RAM is okay on a computer that works, then i'll report back here!

Also could this be my CMOS being empty? (very unlikely because i just got the motherboard like 2 months ago)

Another thing is that when i press and hold the power button the computer seems to restart.
My motherboards onboard LEDs then light up this way: RED (cpu ok, then turns off), YELLOW (dram, this one stays lit!), then white (GPU) and yellow-green (BOOT) don't turn on at all.

With all this information, does this help somebody in narrowing down the possible issue?
Thank you in advance for any assistance!!

Perform a CMOS reset.
Disconnect everything from the motherboard. All that should be connected is your monitor to integrated graphics, keyboard, one RAM module, CPU, heatsink (plus HS fan/pump), ATX power, CPU Power and FPanel power switch (if your motherboard does not have an on board power switch). All other peripherals, cards and cables disconnected. Test to see if it will POST, if not switch the RAM module with one in another slot.

Jun 13, 2019
Perform a CMOS reset.
Disconnect everything from the motherboard. All that should be connected is your monitor to integrated graphics, keyboard, one RAM module, CPU, heatsink (plus HS fan/pump), ATX power, CPU Power and FPanel power switch (if your motherboard does not have an on board power switch). All other peripherals, cards and cables disconnected. Test to see if it will POST, if not switch the RAM module with one in another slot.

Okay, so here's the update.
I took my base components (PSU, motherboard, cpu and memory) to the shop.
The next day, they told me that the problem was with the PSU, and that they could boot up to bios with a different PSU (he even showed me a picture).
So i received my new PSU today (Corsair HX750i)
Connected only the base components (as per your instructions), and my computer still won't boot.

When i connect the PSU to the power outlet, the motherboards RGBs light up (this is a bit strange), but at least my computer doesn't boot instantly like before.
then i click the switch on my case, fans spin up, my memory sticks (tried only with 1 and both) still won't light up, and my motherboards onboard boot displays have a constant yellow light (indicating that dram failed).

Can someone explain how this could be?
Logic tells me that it's a MOBO failure (and probably not a PSU failure), but the mobo booted up in the shop, so i'm kind of lost at the moment.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

PS: i installed the memory sticks into a friends computer and it booted up like a charm, no problems there.

Jun 13, 2019
Okay, so here's the update.
I took my base components (PSU, motherboard, cpu and memory) to the shop.
The next day, they told me that the problem was with the PSU, and that they could boot up to bios with a different PSU (he even showed me a picture).
So i received my new PSU today (Corsair HX750i)
Connected only the base components (as per your instructions), and my computer still won't boot.

When i connect the PSU to the power outlet, the motherboards RGBs light up (this is a bit strange), but at least my computer doesn't boot instantly like before.
then i click the switch on my case, fans spin up, my memory sticks (tried only with 1 and both) still won't light up, and my motherboards onboard boot displays have a constant yellow light (indicating that dram failed).

Can someone explain how this could be?
Logic tells me that it's a MOBO failure (and probably not a PSU failure), but the mobo booted up in the shop, so i'm kind of lost at the moment.
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

PS: i installed the memory sticks into a friends computer and it booted up like a charm, no problems there.

Okay, sorry my bad.
This time i failed to connect the memory sticks properly.
After a proper troubleshoot, i figured this out.
My build can now boot :)

TRENDING THREADS