Question Turning on the system without the cpu power cable on the motherboard

Jan 9, 2020
5
0
10
0
ok so, as the title says i powered up the system when the cpu power cable wasnt connected to the motherboard. Iwas in a rush and connected everything excepting the calble that were supposed to power the cpu. Could this cause any damage?
 
Jan 9, 2020
5
0
10
0
I think....most likely not.
Is there a problem?
No problems, i was scared cuz i knew that it was supposed to show me on the monitor the cpu,ram, etc but the screen was black without any signal. Also before that thing happened when i touched the case (of course with all the components in) it shocked me, but im pretty sure it wasnt static electricity because it felt stronger than just a zap i almost couldnt feel my arm.
 
No problems, i was scared cuz i knew that it was supposed to show me on the monitor the cpu,ram, etc but the screen was black without any signal. Also before that thing happened when i touched the case (of course with all the components in) it shocked me, but im pretty sure it wasnt static electricity because it felt stronger than just a zap i almost couldnt feel my arm.
If it's working.....I think you probably didn't harm anything.....but the case zap....you really shouldn't be getting zapped by the case EXCEPT by static. Static is the only real "safe" situation where you should feel a zap from the case.
 
Reactions: MihaiG

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
700
102
11,090
8
I think probably everyone building systems has forgotten to connect that cable at least once, you're fine.
Ditto! I did it only once when trying to help a friend with his system someone else put together and that wouldn't boot--it was that darn 4-pin! Plugged it in and it booted fine. :D
 

Nemesia

Notable
Nov 6, 2019
1,029
184
940
28
"but im pretty sure it wasnt static electricity because it felt stronger than just a zap i almost couldnt feel my arm."

You better make sure because you're not supposed to have what you described by touching your case.
 

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
700
102
11,090
8
"but im pretty sure it wasnt static electricity because it felt stronger than just a zap i almost couldnt feel my arm."

You better make sure because you're not supposed to have what you described by touching your case.
Yeah, this is a HUGE problem even if your system is running right, something isn't grounded correctly or flowing current where it shouldn't be which can mean fire, dealth and all that good stuff. I'd sort that out immediately.
 
Jan 9, 2020
5
0
10
0
Yeah, this is a HUGE problem even if your system is running right, something isn't grounded correctly or flowing current where it shouldn't be which can mean fire, dealth and all that good stuff. I'd sort that out immediately.
well it shocked me just once and my ENTIRE house has problems with grounding, the microwave zaps me whebever i touch it and also does the gas cooker/stove. But i when i built it i think i saw the motherboard touching the casa with one of the corners that may be the problem ?
 

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
700
102
11,090
8
well it shocked me just once and my ENTIRE house has problems with grounding, the microwave zaps me whebever i touch it and also does the gas cooker/stove. But i when i built it i think i saw the motherboard touching the casa with one of the corners that may be the problem ?
OMG!! That is super dangerous!! You need an electrician over to fix your house grounding asap! You will also destroy a lot of your electronics if you use them this way!
 
Jan 9, 2020
5
0
10
0
OMG!! That is super dangerous!! You need an electrician over to fix your house grounding asap! You will also destroy a lot of your electronics if you use them this way!
Well it would be hard to fix the grounding problem, the house its very old (around 80-90 years) and it has been "modified" instead of rebuilt as it should've been, hopefully i didnt had any problems with any electronics excepting the microwave and gas cooker and sometimes the sink where i wash dishes (once i literally flew 2-3 meters cuz of the shock the water gave me) so my dad got sick of this and with some luck we're gonna have a new house in 2 years (built from 0)
 

SamirD

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
700
102
11,090
8
Well it would be hard to fix the grounding problem, the house its very old (around 80-90 years) and it has been "modified" instead of rebuilt as it should've been, hopefully i didnt had any problems with any electronics excepting the microwave and gas cooker and sometimes the sink where i wash dishes (once i literally flew 2-3 meters cuz of the shock the water gave me) so my dad got sick of this and with some luck we're gonna have a new house in 2 years (built from 0)
That's terrible!! The problem is that power is being fed into the ground and everything that's supposed to be grounded is 'hot'. An experienced electrician shouldn't have much of an issue figuring this out and it would definitely be much cheaper than building a house from scratch because they mess up too (much more than people know).
 
Jan 9, 2020
5
0
10
0
That's terrible!! The problem is that power is being fed into the ground and everything that's supposed to be grounded is 'hot'. An experienced electrician shouldn't have much of an issue figuring this out and it would definitely be much cheaper than building a house from scratch because they mess up too (much more than people know).
basically im screwed Xd thanks for the help.
 
Not sure I'd even bother with a new PC if the house grounding/wiring situation is likely to fry the thing. You ABSOLUTELY shouldn't get shocked by your water....let alone a shock that sends you flying 2-3 meters (or was this an exaggeration?). Is your dad ok with killing his family because he doesn't want to spend a little money to fix the electrical in the house?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS