Question Turning PC on problem on Windows XP

Sep 11, 2019
First of all thanks for reading this!
I have an old PC from 2009 and it uses Windows XP OS.
I can't afford right now new PC and i need this one for school.
I found out that i had Sality virus and i run exe file from AVG antivirus. It said i should turn off PC and turn on which i did.
After that PC was scanning for exe files and scanning. This process took around 9 hours already and I realized i should turn pc off and on, and that was the worst decision i made there.
Now when i turn pc normaly, after windows xp logo finishes loading, screen is just black without mouse point.
If i try to go to Safe mode, i get Blue Death Screen saying 0x0000007b error
I tried getting to menu using f2 button, nothing worked, i tried using f10 button, still nothing and on button f8 i tried every possible way, nether of them worked. Could it be it? Could it be i came into error without fix? Please help🙏

Sep 11, 2019
First of all thanks for reading this!
I have an old PC from 2009 and it uses Windows XP OS.
I can't afford right now new PC and i need this one for school.
I found out that i had Sality virus and i run exe file from AVG antivirus. It said i should turn off PC and turn on which i did.
After that PC was scanning for exe files and scanning. This process took around 9 hours already and I realized i should turn pc off and on, and that was the worst decision i made there.
Now when i turn pc normaly, after windows xp logo finishes loading, screen is just black without mouse point.
If i try to go to Safe mode, i get Blue Death Screen saying 0x0000007b error
I tried getting to menu using f2 button, nothing worked, i tried using f10 button, still nothing and on button f8 i tried every possible way, nether of them worked. Could it be it? Could it be i came into error without fix? Please help🙏
Also I dont have Windows XP Disk, because my dad throw it thinking it won't be useful since pc is old

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
An F8 start should allow you to select "start with last configuration that worked" (or something close to this).

Failing that, F8 should at least allow you to boot to a Dos Prompt. Once there, try this command first.... "chkdsk /f /r" (hit enter) This can sometimes take quite a while to execute.... don't interrupt the process. Then reboot normally.

If this fails, then you can also try the manual restore method.... (this is last resort). Again, you need to boot to a Dos prompt.

Two sub directories of where Windows is installed have your system files. The corrupted files are in the System32 directory, while the backup files are located in the Repair directory.

The system files have the same name in both directories and have no file extension. They are named DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, & SYSTEM.

I would first make copies of the suspect files in the System32 directory. "copy DEFAULT Default.sav" etc..... do this for each of the files. Do this while at the Windows\System32 prompt.

Then from the same prompt, copy the backup files into the System32 directory.

C:\Windows\System32 (type cmd) "copy C:\Windows\Repair\Default"

Do this for the other 4 files as well...... reboot.

Good luck

Sep 11, 2019
An F8 start should allow you to select "start with last configuration that worked" (or something close to this).

Failing that, F8 should at least allow you to boot to a Dos Prompt. Once there, try this command first.... "chkdsk /f /r" (hit enter) This can sometimes take quite a while to execute.... don't interrupt the process. Then reboot normally.

If this fails, then you can also try the manual restore method.... (this is last resort). Again, you need to boot to a Dos prompt.

Two sub directories of where Windows is installed have your system files. The corrupted files are in the System32 directory, while the backup files are located in the Repair directory.

The system files have the same name in both directories and have no file extension. They are named DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE, & SYSTEM.

I would first make copies of the suspect files in the System32 directory. "copy DEFAULT Default.sav" etc..... do this for each of the files. Do this while at the Windows\System32 prompt.

Then from the same prompt, copy the backup files into the System32 directory.

C:\Windows\System32 (type cmd) "copy C:\Windows\Repair\Default"

Do this for the other 4 files as well...... reboot.

Good luck
When I try to go to Dos Promt it still acts like nothing happened screen goes black(but it's still turned on)

With virus present, and without clean installation media, you have two choices (both involve fully formatting the drive):
  • Installing Windows 10, as suggested. It will work, somehow, but still work;
  • Installing some Linux distro (it depends what kind of applications you school is asking for).

You can also see whether your school can provide you with media and activation key for any Windows version.