Turns On, No Display, Single Beep.

kit.dtmittm

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
I've tried looking at other threads for their solutions but none of them have worked so I figured someone with a bit more knowledge could help me.

I've tried:
Taking out the CMOS battery for a bit
Reseating the graphics card
Reseating and swapping the RAM

The only thing I can see any different on the computer is that on the motherboard a LED labeled VGA stays on for about 3 minutes before going off and there is a single short beep after I turn the power on.

Solution
Simplest: (troubleshooting steps without disassembly and should be checked)
Try without a UPS if you have one inline. A bad UPS may be causing insufficient power to reach the system
Try a different power outlet.
Try hooking to another video display like a TV with HDMI in. Checks to make sure it's not your monitor. (most likely not, but eliminating possible causes)

Do the fans spin? If not, either a short, or insufficient power delivery.

Breadboard the system, (in case something like a spider is under the tray and causing a short..yes..I've seen this before)

Disconnect the drives ( you won't boot , but goal is to get display up and visible) Weird shorts or power delivery issue may cause failure here, so eliminate all odd...

kit.dtmittm

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Sorry, here they are:
Intel Core i7 6700 Quad Core 3.4Ghz
MSI Z170A SLi
Hyper X Fury 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
Kingston 240GB SSD
Seagate 1TB Hard Drive
GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Cooler Master B700W
Windows 10 64-Bit

It's not new either, I bought it from a shop a little over a year ago and haven't changed anything on it, which is what I don't get because it went black whilst I was watching a video.

Simplest: (troubleshooting steps without disassembly and should be checked)
Try without a UPS if you have one inline. A bad UPS may be causing insufficient power to reach the system
Try a different power outlet.
Try hooking to another video display like a TV with HDMI in. Checks to make sure it's not your monitor. (most likely not, but eliminating possible causes)

Do the fans spin? If not, either a short, or insufficient power delivery.

Breadboard the system, (in case something like a spider is under the tray and causing a short..yes..I've seen this before)

Disconnect the drives ( you won't boot , but goal is to get display up and visible) Weird shorts or power delivery issue may cause failure here, so eliminate all odd possible causes)

Put graphics card in next PCIe slot, does it work?

Pull the graphics card, connect your display to the onboard graphics. Don't forget to set the monitor's input to the new input if your cable type changes and you know the monitor is good.. You may have to reset CMOS to get back to onboard intel graphics depending on how your MB handles that.

If it fires up without the card, either a video card or power supply issue most likely.

Solution