Question TV Cable Box Question

danielbradbury

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
So when we moved into our house, we had our spare cable box hooked up into a certain room in our house. A network cable, which I'm assuming is an ethernet cable from the looks, comes from under the floor and plugs into the cable box. Is there a simple way to like wirelessly transmit this to a TV in another room. Keep in mind the box would have to move, the issue is the cable coming out of the floor. Trying to avoid rubbing a cable from room to room and trying to cover it with a rug etc.

Ralston18

Titan
There are a number of such products available.

E.g.:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=wireless+cable+tv+transmitter

Just google "wireless TV transmitter and receiver".

However, it is very important that you correctly identify both the nature and source of that cable that comes from under the floor. Check along the cable length for printed specs. Find the source end of the cable: where it is and what else may be connected either before or after the source end.

Also what make and model is that spare cable box?

danielbradbury

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
So if we assume these are not some non standard network you should be able to use something like powerline networks or maybe a wireless bridge.

You need to read the manual and seen where they say you plug this stuff in. If it plugs into your router then it is fairly standard network and it should work.

Now if you must directly connect these together it gets more complex. If it is actually ethernet powerline should still work because they appears as a ethernet cable to the end devices. You would need a pair of wireless bridge units if you really wanted to use wireless but these also appear to device as ethernet.

Now if it is some proprietary thing then you likely need actual wire. A example would be systems that carry HDMI over ethernet...this is just a example I do not think that is what yours is doing.

danielbradbury

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
So if we assume these are not some non standard network you should be able to use something like powerline networks or maybe a wireless bridge.

You need to read the manual and seen where they say you plug this stuff in. If it plugs into your router then it is fairly standard network and it should work.

Now if you must directly connect these together it gets more complex. If it is actually ethernet powerline should still work because they appears as a ethernet cable to the end devices. You would need a pair of wireless bridge units if you really wanted to use wireless but these also appear to device as ethernet.

Now if it is some proprietary thing then you likely need actual wire. A example would be systems that carry HDMI over ethernet...this is just a example I do not think that is what yours is doing.

So looked up the manual. The plug I am needing wirelessly extended is a regular Ethernet cable. Anything I can plug this cable to in the other room, and maybe plug in like a bridge where the Ethernet cable would connect on the cable box, is there such a thing? I just need a way to plug some kind of wireless Ethernet into the box from the other room. Not sure if irrelevant, but my internet modem is right beside the original place of my cable box, not sure if this would help a wireless solution

My guess is you can buy a so called "wireless extender". These devices act as wifi repeaters but can act as what is called a client-bridge. This is basically a wifi nic card on a ethernet cable.

I suspect but am not sure you can plug the cable box into your router with ethernet and then connect to the router with the client-bridge device. The traffic would be connected via your router

If that does not work you can use a second extender but this time run it in AP mode and have the remote extender connect to that instead of the router. These extenders are strange devices you need to make sure you do not let them run in repeater mode. When they actually re transmit the wifi signal they cause interference so you need to run them as simple client-bridge or AP.

D

Deleted member 14196

Above each person’s post there are a set of arrows. go to the post that answers your question and poke the up arrow and that should select your best answer