TV card. What matters??

G

I have two questions.
1. What makes one TV card better than another? As in, what are the determining factors?
2. I want to buy one, preferably for $50 or less. What's my best buy? I'm thinking of the ATI TV Wonder VE. Suggestions?

All I want for Christmas is and AMD.... Athlon XP..... A Geforce 3....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1. Inputs and outputs are the main price factors in cheap cards, also the format in which recording is done.
2. I would recommend the full version TV wonder if you want ATI, as it has svideo inputs, stereo, and can record in MPG2 format (I think).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
2. I would recommend the full version TV wonder if you want ATI, as it has svideo inputs, stereo, and can record in MPG2 format (I think).
yes, real time mpeg2 capturing. <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/tvwonder/index.html" target="_new">ati tv</A>

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

G

I think I like the full TV Wonder.
Where can I get a PAL version? Those on the site specify NTSC.

All I want for Christmas is and AMD.... Athlon XP..... A Geforce 3....

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
dont know... come from USA.

btw, do you speak french? ironic stands for "ironique" in french, no?

<pre><i>ironic</i></pre><p><i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Labdog on 05/28/02 07:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yes I speak a french, a little, but the name's not from that. It's from my name - Iro.

Born to Radeate or to Detonate?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Iro, well, you win this one. :lol:

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
I have a VooDoo3-3500 that has awesome VidIn/Capture capabilities. Superb picture. Still have yet to find a video card that can produce a decent (by my standards, anyway) output picture without investing in a HDTV.

While wearing syran-wrap speedos, my shrink had the nerve to tell me "I can cleary see yer nuts!"

G

OK ,so my name is Iro, so your wondering what it means, or where I'm from. But I'm wondering what's the best TV-Card around for $50!! Somebody, anybody, let me know!?!?!?

Born to Radeate or to Detonate?

siliconjon

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2002
You can pick up a VooDoo3-3500 for around $50 these days. I'll vouch for that card's video-in. But I'm afraid if you're looking for a good OUT signal, I can't help you, cuz like I said, I have yet to find a truely useful VidOut signal in a video card. They're always to crappy a quality. Haven't tried any of them $1k+ cards, though...perhaps one of them would do a nice output.

As for what makes a TV Card high quality? High quality parts. I don't know if they even put the specs on those particular parts on the box, so knowing the numbers you need may not help you. Most grafx cards just give the GPU & RAM specs, along with a few other tidbits.

Maybe you should research some RAMDAC specs on some websites if you're looking for VidOut specs.

While wearing syran-wrap speedos, my shrink had the nerve to tell me "I can cleary see yer nuts!"