TV Company Vizio Jumps into PC Market with Both Feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
eh. What's Vizio going to actually change? PC are commodities. It's going to have intel/amd cpu intel/amd/nvidia GPU, ram, disk, etc. Small cosmetic changes to the keyboard and case, some Vizio branded bloatware. Same product different name. My question is with margins so tight on PCs why would they even want to enter that market in the first place?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]eh. What's Vizio going to actually change? PC are commodities. It's going to have intel/amd cpu intel/amd/nvidia GPU, ram, disk, etc. Small cosmetic changes to the keyboard and case, some Vizio branded bloatware. Same product different name. My question is with margins so tight on PCs why would they even want to enter that market in the first place?[/citation]

I somewhat agree with you. I certainly was not expecting another player in the PC market. But, seeing Vizio's place in the TV market, I am at least willing to give them a chance. I'll wait to see the specs and real-world performance of these. With any luck (in a broad consumer aspect) it will foster better competition and more competetive pricing counter to the likes of other PC makers (maybe even Apple). Or there is a chance that if they do exceptionally well and become a powerhouse in the PC market, they can pressure Intel/AMD/Nvidia/WD/Seagate/etc to drop prices on products (though that is obviously a hilarious pipedream).

G

Show me any of those boxes running Crysis over 30 fps and I will be impressed.

If I had to guess, based on the comment about the custom image, these will be sold at a premium but be devoid of useless bloatware or anything that would detract from the smooth use of this device as an "entertainment appliance."

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]All-in-one pc plus emphasis on style. Besides having their own OS, this is what Apple does very successfully.[/citation]

apple is more or less a complete failure in the pc market, to the point they almost died... the only reason they have prominence now is because of cellphones.

[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]eh. What's Vizio going to actually change? PC are commodities. It's going to have intel/amd cpu intel/amd/nvidia GPU, ram, disk, etc. Small cosmetic changes to the keyboard and case, some Vizio branded bloatware. Same product different name. My question is with margins so tight on PCs why would they even want to enter that market in the first place?[/citation]

really, why not just make a quality monitor line, 1920x1200, or 2560x1600 with built in tv tuners for conveyance.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Very nice-looking, but too much like a Macintosh[/citation]

My sentiment was "Wow, something good looking that doesn't look like a mac". Apart from being metal and having a keyboard, wheres the resemblance? Looks like a nice original minimalist design.

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Well, I can see these taking off in several areas.
First is the international market. These things look good and will probably make a dent in Europe. Second, Vizio is well established in walmart and sams and other large retailers. This will become the high end PC across the country in no time. Think Sony Vaio. That's the unit that will lose sales, along with Apple. With the network Vizio has, you are going to see these everywhere. Looking at their VIA page, it's not hard to see where they are going with all this
http://www.vizio.com/discover/via
It's part of an integrated system people with less skill can put together. This is the direction Apple is heading with their apple TV's. I'd expect this PC/TV marriage to be duplicated by all the major players in short order, backed by MS. I'm sure vizio will tie in with a phone vendor (or provide android apps) soon to complete the package.

tlmck

Distinguished

The margins on TV's is even smaller.

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Steveymoo[/nom]"We too, would like to lavishly waste rare earth metals, to sell to stupid consumers." - Vizio, 2012.[/citation]

lolz

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Very nice-looking, but too much like a Macintosh[/citation]

Why is a comparison to a Mac such a bad thing, Allot of people want their computers to have great engineering and good aesthetic design. Not everyone wants their office to look like NORAD with speakers. I personally think we should see more to this. Asus is actually extremely good at this but they don't market their stuff very well. Vizio has the marketing dollars and could do very well.

Competition brings innovation guys. I welcome this although they are a bit late to the game.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]All-in-one pc plus emphasis on style. Besides having their own OS, this is what Apple does very successfully.[/citation]
How is Windows 7 their own OS? Apple sells computers at a huge premium because of their image. It's a lot to do about fashion. Vizio doesn't have the Prada/Coach style appeal that Apple does. Vizio is not going to get Apple's clientele, and premium prices and aesthetics are not going to get Dell's, Acer, HP, or Lenovo's.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]How is Windows 7 their own OS? Apple sells computers at a huge premium because of their image. It's a lot to do about fashion. Vizio doesn't have the Prada/Coach style appeal that Apple does. Vizio is not going to get Apple's clientele, and premium prices and aesthetics are not going to get Dell's, Acer, HP, or Lenovo's.[/citation]

You are incorrect, and he was talking about Apple having their own OS. Also, there is value in sound industrial engineering and design and OSX is a very strong OS that is great for somethings, not so great for others. Same as Windows, Linux, and any other OS's out there.

I personally use both, but for different reasons and I have to say I prefer OSX over Windows. If you look at the cost of an Apple solution vs the competitors at the beginning of the lifecycle you will see that the value is there. It is mid-late lifecycle where the value goes to crap because they maintain their price point. They are able to do that because they offer enough built in capability and design that people don't care as much the CPU/Memory etc.. Those kinds of things are stuff we care about because most of use are enthusiasts but to most people they want something that can do what they want it to do, take up minimal space doing it and last them a long time. Apple does exactly that. No performance degradation in the OS means that despite the new applications that are installed, new hardware that is attached, and the lack of malicious applications at this point the system is stable and consistently performs.

Probably get some negatives from some people but it is true. Like Apple or not, they do a good job.

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I have to say that Pc looks pretty nice. Vizio is making decent low end TVs and LG has really stepped up their game in the high end maybe Vizio is taking LGs old spot.

I would really like to see LG license its new Oled tech to vizio so I can get a wide range of products in OLED.

Man I want and Oled TV and monitor so bad in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.