TV locks to 30Hz on specific games

Jonathan_104

Honorable
Aug 24, 2016
I recently bought a new 4k TV which I have connected to my PC. I'm experiencing a weird issue in that when I launch certain games the TV suddenly drops from 60Hz to 30Hz.

The TV runs at 4k 60Hz in windows, and when I launch some games it remains running at 60Hz in 4k resolution. However, when I launch certain games, for example Doom or Witcher 3, the TV displays a brief image at the top right of the screen indicating the resolution (still 4k) and the refresh rate (now 30Hz).

The TV is a kind of no-name brand with a Samsung panel (I live in Korea). According to the specs it has 4 hdmi 2.0 ports and supports up to 60Hz refresh rate. I am connecting it to a PC running a GTX 970, that also supports hdmi 2.0 and I am connecting the two with a cable that is definitely hdmi 2.0 - so clearly the issue is not that I am running on hdmi 1.4. If that was the problem then none of my games would run in 4k at 60Hz, but some of them do, such as Shadow of Mordor and Ori and the blind forest.

I have googled around and I did not find any forum posts with the exact same issue.

Tldr; My new TV selectively downgrades the refresh rate to 30Hz when I launch specific games, but happily runs other games in 4k resolution at 60Hz. What is going on?

Solution
on most tv's you need to go to the input (hdmi) settings and select 'enhanced mode' or similar to enable 4k60hz - the games maybe operating in hdmi 1.4 till that occurs (limited to 4k 30).

Jonathan_104

Honorable
Aug 24, 2016

Thank you rustigsmed!

At first when I tried switching to enhanced mode on my TV the screen just went blank, but then I switched out the hdmi cable and tried again and it worked! All games now running 4k at 60Hz.

Truly appreciate your help.

rustigsmed

Distinguished

no problem glad it worked out